Walmart Greeter

October 29, 2009 by

Kudos to a Walmart Greeter – He Brightened My Shopping Experience

JamarIt isn’t every day that I make a post about an employee of a store. Actually I never have before…but this man made me want to. I was standing in line waiting my turn to check out of the Easton Walmart in Ohio and I have to say I completely enjoyed watching this “greeter” say hi to people and check receipts as others left.  What did I notice?  His smile, his genuine smile.  It wasn’t a fake “I’m the greeter and I have to have a smile plastered on my face” smile…he was truly enjoying what he was doing.  A greeter in Walmart….not a high powered businessman making millions, not a movie star signing autographs, but a Walmart greeter.  I was impressed.  He wasn’t putting on a show for anyone, he didn’t know I was watching or anyone was watching. He was just being friendly.
I told the cashier that I was enjoying watching him. She told me that they put the right person there.  I told him as I left that I enjoyed watching him.  He smiled and told me that was nice of me.  I walked out of the store.  Went to my car and felt like I wanted to do more.  I called customer service….and waited…and waited and almost hung up, but I didn’t want to, I wanted to tell someone about him. When she answered,  I asked his name and asked what I could do to let someone know he was doing a great job.  She said I could contact the store manager and tell him or send in a letter.

I left, went to another store and shopped but felt compelled to go back. I wanted to take his picture and do a blog post…ok, how strange will that be I thought?  Hi…I am going to take your picture.  I have to say that I was out of my comfort zone. I pulled in the parking lot and told myself as I went down the full row of cars that if I got a close space I would get out and go get his picture. Sure enough the 2nd car from the end pulled out just then.  I pulled in and then I saw him walking in the parking lot.  Perfect I thought.

I went over to him and told him I was so impressed with his attitude that I wanted to do a blog post on him. I asked if I could get his picture and he agreed.  He told me I was sweet.

His name is Jamar.   If you see this Jamar…be sure to tell him hi and smile at him.  If you see any “Jamar” as you go about your day…be sure to tell them their smile made your day.

How often do you feel like your day was improved because someone smiled?  Someone was friendly…..someone who was  a Walmart greeter….made my day brighter.  I’m impressed.  I hope this man goes far in life….he deserves to.

Comments

11 Responses to “Walmart Greeter”
  1. Lacie says:

Awesome job Sandy! All too often we find ourselves complaining about the poor customer service. It’s such a breath of fresh air to hear about someone who is doing a great job and loving it. Thank you for recognizing him and I hope he see it :-)

2. Tamara says:

What an awesome story. People are all to anxious to tell their horrible stories, but not the good stories.

He made your day and you made his day. Kudos to you.

3. What a positive and uplifting post. Jamar sounds like a valuable asset to wal-mart. Hope they appreciate him.

4. Con says:

Fantastic story. All business owners should be so lucky as to have random posts written about their employees. I hope his manager recognizes this employee’s enthusiasm and creativity that goes into what we can only assume could be a dull job if looked at that way. It seems this guy could write version 2 of the “Fish Philosophy”; it is what you make it, so make it a fun place to work!!!

5. I am NOT a con. LOL I’m ConfessionsMom, but apparently I don’t type today. How funny.

6. Linda White says:

That’s a great story! We have a greeter at our Walmart who is a preacher and a school teacher. You can hear him singing or whistling hymns as he works and greets people! He is always upbeat and friendly!

7. Noelle D says:

I really hope you contact the store manager.
    As a former manager of a bar, customers are VERY quick to point out the negative. It is very rare to get positive feedback.
    Your comments could help him get more hours, a little recommendation, or maybe even a raise! You would be surprised just how much the good news can help to carry someone!
    Thank you so much for sharing this story….
    I love bragging on someone who does a JOB WELL DONE!

8. CaySedai says:

I had to do the opposite the other day for a cashier that pretty much ignored me WHILE SHE WAS CHECKING ME OUT. When I got my money out, she was spacing off, looking in a different direction while I stood there with the money in my hand.

It’s refreshing to see someone who is enthusiastic about their work. In both cases (my experience and Sandy’s), these people have an influence that goes beyond their little sphere of job – their attitude can affect many people and it can spread from there.

9. Tracy says:

Sandy,
    What a great story and thank you for sharing. It’s reassuring to know that there are still people that do notice and appreciate the smallest of things in this world. I am pleased that you took the time to follow up on Jamar and let his employer know that he goes above and beyond.

10. Caitlin Madden says:

What a nice post to read near the end of the day on a Friday! Thanks for writing this Sandy and recognizing Jamar for his great service. It is very true that a simple smile can go so far. I have had encounters like this before and have wanted to let my experience be known to the manager/ boss but have not always had the time to do so. I am going to be sure to make the time in the future. I am sure you made Jamar’s day great as well!

Trackbacks

Check out what others are saying about this post...
  1. Speaking Thanks used my Kudos To a Walmart Greeter Post | Organize With Sandy says:

[…] you have followed my blog for a few months, you may have read it on here. It was called Kudos to a Walmart Greeter. Jamar the Walmart Greeter that inspired me to go back to thank him & write a […]