Organizing – How To Start
Organizing a New You….So what does that mean? Organize your home, organize your schedule, your kids, your life? Does it seem like the impossible? It can be done! But be careful not to bite off more than you can chew and end up in “it is too overwhelming and I don’t think I can do it” land.
Here is how to start.
1) Sit down with a pad of paper, pen, calendar and cup of coffee in a relaxed atmosphere.
2) Make a list of all the things you would like to organize.
3) Now number them in order of importance. (at least the top three areas that drive you the most CRAZY)
4) Put a date beside those top 3 of when you would like to have them completed by.
5) Block out at time on your calendar to start #1 on the list.
Do not go out and buy a bunch of things to organize with. Until you know what you are going to end up with after your “sort” you don’t know what you will need. (unless you want to purchase some clear storage bins..but if you do be sure you have shelves to store them on and measure to be sure they will fit.
1) Black trash bags – trash
2) White trash bags – Donate (separate colors so you don’t throw out your donate items in the trash)
3) Labels for boxes or bins (masking tape & sharpie marker will be fine)
4) Boxes for storage (my favorite are clear bins)
Make 5 signs for each of the piles you are going to make while sorting. Then for each item only give yourself 5-10 seconds to make your decision (no time to wander down memory lane). Be tough if you want to reclaim your space.
1) Keep – Love it, Use it, Can’t live without it.
2) Donate – Others would put to better use, doesn’t fit, don’t like it, don’t use it (use the white trash bags)
3) Storage – Holiday decorations, speciality items you use (camping, skiing)
4) Move – Items that need to be kept but don’t belong in this space.
5) Trash – Broken, un-donatable. Try to recycle if possible. Use the Black trash bag.
*It will seem messier before it gets better. Don’t get discouraged and keep going.
*This takes time, don’t think you will get an entire room done in 2 hours. Start with a small area.
* Once you have sorted your items you are ready to reorganize them in an orderly way.