The Laundry Process

April 5, 2010 by

Laundry – Don’t you Love it? lol

laundry

laundry

I am going to share the laundry process I use at my house.  It is simple and straight forward, but it works.

I have to admit that I am surprised that I hear some people say they don’t use hampers or laundry baskets. I guess I wonder where they gather their dirty clothes.  How do they transport them from the bedrooms to the laundry room?   What do they do with the clean clothes when it is clean? Do they fold it right away? Fold it in the laundry room? Sort it? Who puts it away at your house?

This is the method I use and have used since I had a family.

Laundry Hampers

Each person has a laundry hamper in their bedroom. There is also one in the kids bathroom. Dirty clothes go in them. (or around them as kids will do…What? You can’t hit a basket with your dirty clothes?  ….that usually works). Oh…and I discovered Sock Sacks which I love. I did a review on these last year and we still use them and I think they are great. Each child has their own sock sack. Their name is on it. All their dirty socks go into it.  Then you zip them up and toss them in the washer/dryer. No more sorting. Each childs socks are already separated. I just put their sock sack into their cubbies and they put them away.

Sock Sacks

Sock Sacks

Laundry day (or multiple days at our house) each child brings down their laundry basket. Since the 2 boys share a room, one brings down their hamper and the other brings down the bathroom hamper.

I sort the clothes into the the laundry room hampers to be washed.  You can see my video I did on my laundry room here.

Laundry room aug 2009

When they come out of the dryer, I hang up clothes right then and fold the other clothes and put them into laundry baskets.

Carrying up laundry baskets

Carrying up laundry baskets

Then we carry up the laundry baskets.

Laundry cubbies

Laundry cubbies

I then sort the clothes into the kids cubbies and they put them away in their drawers.  I didn’t always use this cubby idea. I used to have smaller laundry baskets that each child had. But this house is smaller than my old one and we just don’t have the room.  I had this small area at the top of my stairs and this worked great.

Comments

13 Responses to “The Laundry Process”
  1. Alyssa says:

So does each child have their own basket?

2. LadySnow says:

I think it’s so funny that you did a laundry post today. Because today is the first day that my older two children are responsible for their own laundry. Not me..them. They are washing, drying, folding, and putting their clothes away. So if they don’t have anything clean. From now on…it’s their fault. LOL

3. shawna says:

I love your tips! I think I need to put a laundry basket in each child’s room, not just in the bathrooms…great tip!
    My question is do you put the clean clothes back in the basket the dirty clothes were in? How do you clean the basket before putting clean clothes in? I read about this once so now I have laundry baskets for dirty clothes and different ones just for clean clothes…any thoughts?

No….their tall clothes hampers are in their rooms and they are for dirty clothes. The laundry baskets (like the one my son is carring) is for clean clothes that go back upstairs.

Each child has their own tall hamper in their room for their dirty clothes. I have several laundry baskets that I carry up laundry in. They do each have their own cubby that I put their folded clean clothes into.

6. Samantha says:

I really like the cubbie idea to sort the clean clothes for each child to put up their own clothes. This is a great idea I will share with my clients.

7. Hi Sandy – Today… is my laundry day. Like you, I think the “from the hot dryer right to hanger…” is such an important step to the process. One thing that I started doing was putting the clean laundry on the kids beds so that THEY put it away. I decided to let go of the “orderly” drawers for the independence it gives my kids to take care of their own stuff. What a time saver for me! :)

that is why I use the cubbies. I just sort into them and they have to take them from there and put them away themselves. So I can sit down in one spot and sort the clothes rather than carrying the baskets from room to room. But I have to admit that I many times wonder why I fold the clothes after I see how they come back out of their dressers! LOL

9. Becca says:

How organized! I’m one who doesn’t use a laundry basket…but I am also an adult living at home. I carry my pile from my room to the garage and dump it until I do laundry. It’s a pretty bad system, but no one complains lol

10. I use that same system sorting the clothes in the laundry room, only I use medium sized trashcans. I wrote a post about it, too :). It makes it so simple to visually see what type of clothes (whites, darks, towels) has enough dirty to warrant doing a load. Great article!

Thanks Melinda. I just looked it up on your site. Here is the link for her laundry article! http://simplehomeorganization.com/organizing/laundry-conspiracy/

12. Orit G says:

Hi Sandy,
    I see at the picture your green hamper. Do you use all the capacity of it with dirty clothes?
    I mean, is it the right size? Or you could also use something smaller? If there where hampers let’s say in a more squarey shape instead of rectangular, (les long on the length of it) wasn’t it good? It would save much space in the laundry room.
    Thanks Orit

You can use any hamper that fits your families needs and space. For me, I could easily use larger hampers, but my laundry room does would not allow that. I do laundry for 7 people. I know my sister (just her and her hubby) use like 3 much smaller hampers, and that fits their needs.