Organizing the Playroom – Part 1

May 24, 2010 by

Is Your Children’s Playroom a Disaster?

“Before picture – too many toys & books”

Many times the main problem that we have in the kids playroom is that they have too many toys!! We love our kids and want to give them everything. But sometimes everything is too much.

Have you heard the phase, “Less is More” ? This can be very true in regards to this. I am not saying to throw out all they toys. Not at all. But I am saying 90% of the time that our kids have too many toys.

Are you overwhelmed when you walk into a room of your house and there is SO much Stuff? You don’t know where to start…and it almost makes you feel like just walking right back out of that room.
So why should your kids feel any different if they walk into a playroom with SO much Stuff? They can be overwhelmed by toys. I know that it seems they should be happier with lots of toys…but it can be too much.

So what to do?
Start with at the starting point. Sorting! (You knew I was going to say that didn’t you?) You can go back and look at how to sort in my “Five Steps to Sorting” post.

Sorting in a Playroom

Step 1 -
Get those black and white trash bags. Black for trash – White for Donate

Step 2 -
Make those decisions quick. Do not sit and remember each birthday party or Christmas that each toy came from. Remembering the fun, who gave it to them. Feeling guilty if you give it up. That is “personalizing” the toy. You can take a picture of it…if it is something you want to remember.

Step 3 -
Look at each toy or book. Ask yourself these questions:
1) Does it work? (broken? – trash)
2) Do they like and and play with it? (If not – donate)
3) Have they out grown it? (donate)
4) Does it have all the pieces and parts? (If not – trash)
5) Is it broken? (Trash)
6) Is it worth taking up space in the playroom? (If not – donate)

Step 4 -
Decide if YOU are the reason they have too many toys. Are YOU the one that doesn’t want to give them up? Many times we are the problem, not the kids. We remembering picking out that toy and how excited we were to give it to them. We know how much it cost and know that it was expensive.
BUT…..if they do not use it any longer, if it is broken ….it is time to give it up.

Comments

12 Responses to “Organizing the Playroom – Part 1”
  1. NikkiG says:

I’ve been planning on redoing my son’s room and this has given me some great ideas!

2. we always love to decorate our living rooms with bargain decors that we can find on the local store ‘

3. Adrienne says:

Thanks for the “lecture” Sandy! It makes sense. Less is more. I’m going to get busy with my trash bags now!

lol… hoping I didn’t lecture. But I’m excited to see what you are going to do.

5. Harriet Yoder says:

We did something similar to this with our first two daughters’ room. They had way too many toys. The one thing I did that was different was to sort the toys by type such as dolls, push toy,etc. Then I let the girls choose which one to keep. The other were donated with a twist: the girls went with their father to the place and did the donation themselves. They’re married with children now, but they still remember that.

Yes.. and I bet they’ll do it with their own kids if it left that kind of impression! Awesome!

7. Jennifer says:

Great advice! I used to be the person who personalized all the things that I owned! And was guilty of personalizing my kids toys. I had to stop because it was driving me crazy – I could not even figure out what to do with all the stuff. I would put it in piles because I did not know where to put it. Something clicked and I got rid of TONS of stuff for myself and of my kids things. It feels so much better to have less now.

8. Great tips! I need to follow them. My kids have a ton of toys in the basement that they rarely play with. I think it’s time to do some organizing and donating! I am hoping to make a basement playroom for them, and I don’t want it to be too overcrowded with toys.

Wonderful. I think you’ll see they actually play with more of the toys… when there are less of them. crazy right? lol

thanks for sharing Jennifer!

11. Nessa says:

So, my question is, what if they play with all the toys? My two sons share a room, and 7 years and 13 years. My youngest is the one with all the toys, but I tried going through and organizing, but he actually does play with all his toys! and there are tons, but he is really into g.i. joes and just has gobs of it. So how would you go about sorting and getting rid of stuff he still plays with. Also, how can I keep it looking good and clean so my 13 year old actually can walk in his own room.

Thanks,

In that case I would consider putting away half of the toys. You don’t have to donate them if he is still playing with them, however it does sound like there is enough of a problem that it’s causing trouble for space for the older child. It isn’t fair to him to have so many toys. You can trade out the toys every 6 months or so and it will seem like Christmas. lol
    I would plan on seriously going through what he does have and doing your best to downsize before the holidays though.