Working from Home

August 4, 2010 by

What does Working from Home look like to you?

(This picture was actually on Black Friday morning (I also had a mini computer up and running to the left.  Normally I only work on one computer. LOL)

It is a dream of yours to be able to work at home?  Do you work at home and wish you could get out of your home?

Jennifer talked about balance yesterday in her post. That is so true – it is hard to keep the balance.  But I want to talk today about what you hope to accomplish out of working from home?

Do you think you are productive working at home…..or not disciplined enough to be productive.

For me….it is a blessing.
I have worked and still do out of the home – in nursing.  But majority of my work is out of the home now.  My organizing business is of course a combination. I organize in other people’s homes….but I can still make my own schedule.  But I have been doing more blogging, social media work now than actual in house organizing.

With having 9 year old triplets I still have to get them back and forth to school (we don’t have busing any more), so this allows me to take and pick them up without a problem.

I admit that you have to be disciplined to work out of your home.   Here are a few tips that help me:

1) I keep the TV and radio off.
2) I make lists of what I need to accomplish
3) I try to keep my phone calls to a minimum unless they are work related
4) I try to schedule specific days that I get my laundry done etc.

I don’t know about you, but there are some days when I am highly motivated and can throw back all kinds of work.  Then other days when I am just not “there” and don’t get nearly as much accomplished as I had hoped.   But what is nice is that on my  “off” days I can go slower…and on my “on” days I can work extra to make up for it.  In an office or official away from home job – you don’t get that luxury.

My husband and I have an on going joke.  He asks what I did today.  I frequently will say…. “I put my feet up and watched Oprah and ate bon bons hun”.

Actually my husband is very supportive of my blogging and social media.  Since it isn’t bringing in enough to pay all the bills yet….that is a good thing!

Comments

6 Responses to “Working from Home”
  1. Phyllis says:

Sandy,
    I’m like you – some days I can just get everything on my list done – other days seem full of distractions – but the flexibility is what makes it work.
    Your list is good – I follow those as well.
    I also have found that on those days when it seems hard to get things done, I’ll set a timer and focus on an important task for 30, 45 or 60 minutes. This really helps me make sure that I get my critical tasks on track.

2. Karen Perea says:

I actually do both. I work from an office for job #1 and I work from home for jobs #2 and #3 and to do my online classes. It is not really me that is the problem it is the family. My husband is a stay at home Dad and he feels when I get home he is “off”. I have taken to sometimes going to the office for job #1 in the evenings or weekends to get other jobs work done or school work. I wish they would understand. I have the perfect set up though with an L-shaped desk and a computer and the rest of the desk is empty and I have drawers to organize the stuff in. Just need people to realize I am working and not playing!

Yes…love the timer idea. I use that more for the kids…but maybe I should use it for myself more when I am on one of my “off” days. Thanks Phyllis

That would be hard Karen….I agree. If it were only the job away from home and not both…it might be easier. Sounds like you are a very busy lady!

5. Martha says:

I loved working at home.. did it for a major corporation for 15 years until I retired. It was hard to let that job go, but it was time to move on. I was very disciplined, but there were days that distractions got in the way, but even in an office environment there are distractions of co-workers, etc. I always had the peace of mind (being a single mom) that I was close by if my child needed me at school. She did have to learn early that a closed door meant do not enter. I did find when in the midst of projects it was hard to walk away at the end of the day!

Wow Martha, you were very lucky to be able to work at home. Especially being a single mom. I was one for about 5 years to my 4 boys and I know it can be so hard. I had to change jobs because of it. I wish I would have had a work at home job then. thanks for sharing