Winter is coming!! The “Changing of the Clothes”
Do you dread the “changing of the clothes” as much as I do? Getting out the winter clothes and putting away the summer?
I do not look forward to it. In fact, so far this season I have not done it. I always leave a few warming things in their drawers for the summer, so they aren’t wearing shorts on a 60 degree day)
We do use the “hand me downs”. How could we not? The older two have clothes that I have saved (that they liked… we didn’t save everything) for the younger boys. Since we only have the one girl, we tend to either have one of a couple people give us clothes for her, shop in the resale shops or buy new. (Oh darn….how I hate to buy girls clothes.. Not!!)
Here are the tips that I used in the spring of 2009 when I did a post on transferring clothes from summer to winter.
7 Easy Steps to Transferring The Clothes
1) Get your supplies ready. White (donate) and black (trash) trash bags, sharpie
marker, labels (sticky address labels work great, bins (clear are best).
2) Get out the winter clothes from storage.
3) Start in the kids rooms and pull out one drawer at a time. Determine with each
* Will it fit someone in the family in the future? (If not dontate)
* Is it in any condition to save? (If not then throw away, don’t donate clothes
that are torn, stained or are better for rags)
* Will the next child wear it? Was it worn at all this season? (Do they like it?)
4) Make piles.
* Save for next year
* Donate (white bag)
* Trash (black bag)
5) Go through the new season clothes and do the same thing as you put them away in
the kids drawers. Make sure they will fit your child this year and it is
something they will wear.
6) I prefer you use clear bins. Get ones that fit your space to store and latch closed. They will go from season to season. Now for really long clothing storage, you might want to look into another form (but I don’t suggest long term clothing store of any one item …usually)
7)) Take the bins you have for next year and be sure to label them.
Put sex, season and size on each label. For instance, Boy – Summer - Size 10
7) Donate can be taken to friends who can use them, sold at a garage sale or resale
shop or taken to a facility such as Good Will.