Organize your Handbags and Purses

March 25, 2011 by

How To Organize All Those Handbags?

Are they over taking your closet?  Do you have a purse for every outfit or every pair of shoes?

Beth pursesDo you have an idea what my advice is going to be?   Yes….. you need to sort through them and purge them.

I want you to ask yourself these questions:

1) When was the last time you used it?
2) Do you LOVE it?
3) Is there anything wrong with it?
4) Do you really Need it?

Here is what I want you to do.

Beth purses

Make 4 piles:

1) Keep Pile -  Use it frequently (within the last 6 months)
2) Maybe Pile -  It matches an outfit perfectly that I have worn in the last year and the outfit fits me
3) Donate – I haven’t used it in over a year. (or ebay, Craigs list)
4) Trash - Not in good enough shape to use or donate

I think they are all self explanatory except the “Maybe Pile”.  I want you to go through your maybe pile and only pick out the purses that you WILL be sure to use in the next 6 months.

Now.. you may be saying, “But Sandy, no way! I paid WAY too much for that handbag to just donate it!” Then sell it on ebay or Craig’s list, or a resale store. But give yourself a date to do that by, don’t just throw them in your closet and think you will do it later (because we both know you won’t)

It may be hard, but be realistic, how many purses do you really need to keep? They are more than likely taking up space that you could use in your closet.

I want you to note which bags you use over the next year. I bet it is only a couple.

If you HAVE to buy another purse, then decide which purse you are going to get rid of. One in… One out!

How To Organize Your Remaining Purses

The Closet Purse Hanger – These are basically “S” hooks. You can put several purses on one hook. I also use these for belts. They work great.  They are different from your standard “S” hook because they are twisted so they hold your purse correctly in your closet.  (update 11/2012 I’m unable to find this product. Here is a purse hanger that looks similar

purse hanger 4
You can see a closer view here.
purse hook 3

Here is another option that I reviewed called Simply Sarah Handy Hold All.
purse hanger 2This has fabric hooks that wrap around your purse to hold it in place.  If you have long straps, you have to wrap them up, so they don’t hang down too long.

purse hanger 1

There are of course many other options:
You can find cardboard bins like this called Park-a-Purse from Organize.comorganize.com Park a purse

Be sure to watch for the rest of my posts this week:

Purse Organizing – (Part 1)
Purse Organizing - The pouchee (Part 2)
Purse Organizing – Card Cubby  (Part 3)

I want to see how you organize your purses!! If you link up your purse post to my linky party and it is of how you organize all your purses, I’ll pull a picture and add a link to this post too!

I’d love for you to link it up to my Organizing Mission Monday Link Party
It will be open until March 27th to link to.

Organizing Mission Monday

I LOVE your comments!

Thank you to Beth from Plus Size Mommy for taking all her purses out for me to get a picture!

Comments

12 Responses to “Organize your Handbags and Purses”
  1. Robyn :) says:

I had meant to take and post a picture of how I organize my purses in my purse purging post, but forgot!! LOL. I will do a separate post.

2. Alexandra says:

I just recently sorted thru my purses and donated the ones I no longer use. The purses I wanted to keep I have stored in baskets sorted by season and color. Now I just have to control myself and not buy anymore.

3. Roberta says:

Oh yeah…I purged all of my bags when we downsized last year but I’m feeling the need to do another major purge of my bags/purses. But in the meantime, i’m still trying to decide which color pursee to get…lol

4. Oh, I sooooo need a purse organizer. I’ve done a pretty good job of getting rid of the ones I don’t like/need anymore…but I still have quite a few. :s Thanks for the tips! I’m visiting from “Goodbye House, Hello Home” today…hope you’ll stop by my blog to say hi too. :)

Oh.. I have been! I think I’ve left like 3 comments for you so far! lol Great blog. Thanks

6. Marcia says:

I ended up purging most of my bags last year. It feels so good. I follow the same pattern for organizing, especially the “When was the last time I used it?” question. The worst reasoning is “I might need it some day.”

Stopped by from Leslie’s Purge Party. Thanks for sharing.

Enjoy your day.

7. Sandy,
    This post is great!
    Not only do you show how to get rid of the unneeded item, but you show how to maintain and store the handbags!
    Smart!
    I actually only have 3 handbags–I think it’s because my mom kept all her handbags and I remember the clutter and thought I wasn’t going to do that when I grew up, LOL!
    Love the practical and pretty solutions you give us!
    I should like to feature you next week, if you don’t mind?
    Thank you for coming by my place to party!
    HUGS and blessings to you!
    (Love me some organization!)
    ~Leslie

Thanks Leslie! I would love for you to feature me!

9. Debra says:

I love this! I only have one purse – wear it out, get another…..Too much work I guess to change contents out :) Very pretty way to store them, thanks for sharing!

10. Stephanie says:

Where did you get the S hooks? How much do they cost?

They are called the Closet Purse Hangers. Here is the link. http://closetpursehanger.com/