Organizing Under the Kitchen Sink

April 4, 2011 by

Do You Keep Everything Including Part Of The Kitchen Sink Under Your Sink?

It can be difficult to organize underneath your kitchen sink because you have to deal with the plumbing and disposal underneath it.

Under The Sink Before:

under the sink

My previous organizing used some odds and ends baskets.  I have an old ice container on the far left.   There are several cleaning gloves, cleaners, fire extinguisher, and other odds and ends on this side.
under the sink

On the other side I have the plastic container that is supposed to be hung that holds plastic bags.  The wire basket used to hang on the door of another house under the kitchen sink.

under the sink

Step 1: Clear everything out from under the sink

I have officially decided I do not like the shelf liners that are not contact paper.  I decided to try them for the first time…because that is mainly what I find now and “everyone else is doing it”.  lol  I have this style and also that bumpy kind of padded open holed shelf liner (do you know what I mean?)  It pulls up, I’m constantly trying to smooth it down. Obviously here, you can see how well it looks.  Ugh!  This is going in the trash.

under the sink

Step 2: Clean the empty cabinet

Clean out your cabinet while you have it empty.  I would have liked to have put down contact paper, but I didn’t have any and did not have plans or time to get it today. What is frustrating is that I spent a lot of money on all the shelf liner I bought just a few months ago when I got my new kitchen.

under the sink

Today I will leave it plain, without any liner.

Step 3: Sort through your items and get rid of things you don’t use, that are old or expired or need to go else where.

I had two Soft Scrubs and two powdered cleaners. I kept one of each here, and moved the others to one of the bathroom cabinets.  I also had a couple odds and ends that I didn’t use anymore that I disposed of.

Step 4: Replace the items that you are going to keep, things you will use.

I ended up going back to Old Time Pottery and buying a couple more of the plastic baskets for my refrigerator. The red ones fit, but they were just big enough that if you didn’t make sure they were pushed all the way back, then the refrigerator door wouldn’t shut.  I was just a little concerned about the kids remembering to watch for that, and didn’t think it was worth taking the chance of having spoiled food.  So… I had 2 of the large red baskets to play with.

under sink basket

The other red plastic basket did not fit on the other side of the cabinet.  It wasn’t too tall to fit under the disposal, but with all the tubing under there, it did not work. I cleaned out the other little red basket that I had been using and used it for the right side.

under the sink

Step 5: Utilize as much space as you are able.

I could stack baskets or get some kind of wire shelves to make a 2nd level, but I don’t happen to need that kind of space. I do however, have several things that I planned to hang on the doors.

My problem now is double fold:

1) My husband isn’t home to hang these items for me
2) When I look at the doors of the cabinets, the items I wanted to hang aren’t going to fit properly. There is a ridge in the inside of the door and the items I wanted to hang aren’t wide enough. ugh!

So…. I needed to think of something else because I was determined to get this completed today!
Here is what I figured out and I am thrilled with it!!

Enter….. Command hooks by 3M (this is not a review for them by the way)

command hooks by 3M
I had a few packs of different sizes of hooks.  I used these sticky hooks and hung this wire rack I got at Old Time Pottery.

sink organizing

It worked perfect for the cleaners I use most often in the kitchen.

under sink organizing

Be sure that you can close the door with the placement of anything on the door.

door of cabinet under sink

I’m really excited that I was able to get this done!  If this doesn’t hold, I’ll let you know that you might need stronger hooks.

right side of cabinet

Now I’m excited to try the other door.

I want to see if these hooks will work to hold up this bag holder.

bag holder

I was able to mount the bag holder, now to try the wire basket.

door basket
That worked also. I put cleaning tools in it. If you knew how excited I was!!

cabinet door organizing

I have one more thing I have to figure out a solution for. I  have 2 pair of rubber gloves. I tried just laying them in the basket on the door (no, too bulky). I tried them in the big red plastic basket, but again they just looked junky.

So….. I decided to use the hook solution again. But how I got them to stay up was my new dilemma.  But….I came up with an idea that I think will work well for the long run.

Check this out!  I used a binder clip to hold the pair of gloves together and then hung that from one of the Command hooks.

command hook by 3M

So this is what I ended up with.

hanging rubber gloves

I used the inside of the cabinet to hang the gloves.

rubber gloves

Here is what it looks like:

under the sink organizing

Here is the whole cabinet

After Organizing

organized under sink

Looks a little better doesn’t it?  I love that I was able to use those Command hooks and put up the things I wanted on the inside of my cabinet doors.
Now I want to see underneath Your Kitchen sinks!
I’d love for you to link it up to my Organizing Mission Monday Link Party
It will be open until April 9, 2011 to link to, so you have time to work on your pantry and refrigerator

Organizing Mission Monday

I LOVE your comments

I’m linking up to these blog parties

A Bowl Full of Lemons -  One Project at a Time
House of Grace – Twice Owned Tuesday
Thrifty Decor Chick – Before and After Party
Tip Junkie - Tip Me Tuesday
Handy Man, Crafty Woman – Wicked Awesome Wednesday
I’m an Organizing Junkie – 52 Weeks

Comments

28 Responses to “Organizing Under the Kitchen Sink”
  1. Candice says:

How awesome! I just cleaned underneath my kitchen sink this afternoon! I was rooting around & trying to find the stainless steel wipes when I decided enough is enough. I pulled it all out & organized with a few baskets I had leftover. I need some more, plus some hooks & a door basket, but it’s getting there!

Awesome! I want to see it when you finish!

3. Bobbi says:

Sandy, I have to say that Command 3d Hook idea is brilliant! It is such a simple idea but you have no idea…I organized under my sink and have 2 baskets to put on the doors but the cabinet doors are too thin, so I can’t hang them with screws. I almost took them back because I can’t put them on any cupboard doors not even in the bathroom. BUT when I saw that, I showed my husband and a lightbulb clicked in our heads! So silly and simple…but THANK YOU!

I hope it will work for you too!

5. Melody says:

You have done a great job! Great idea hanging the gloves, they can dry better that way also! I just may have to get some of those command hooks too! I really like the red baskets, they make a spot that usually does not look very nice well, look nice! Thanks for sharing!

Thanks Melody

7. Martha (MM) says:

I think you are a mind reader! I was just thinking over the weekend that the two places I haven’t touched are my laundry room and under my kitchen sink! Both are on my list to complete this weekend! Of Course I’ll link up once I’m done. Hope you are having a great week :-)

Thanks Rleen

9. Great project! why does that spot always get so messy? lol!

10. Margot Perry says:

LOVE, LOVE, LOVE how you used the Command Hooks to take control of the clutter under your sink as well as figure out a way to hang the white metal organizers on the doors. I have been racking my brain trying to figure out how to hang my organizers, without damaging the doors. This is just brilliant!!!

Thanks Margot!

12. Karin says:

Sandy, Command makes spring clips that work to hang things like your rubber gloves. I have used them to clip a variety of things on the inside of my bathroom and kitchen cabinets.

Oh.. cool Karin! Thank you, I will take a look.

14. Mama Bear says:

I love the hooks. There usually isn’t much width to the doors so it is hard to use nails. This way you didn’t harm the wood. I must find some of those hooks. I like that you hung the gloves. This way if they’re still damp, they can hang to dry.
    I always put use a large garbage back, laid flat, to line under the sink. That way, if you should have a leak, it won’t ruin the cabinet. I’ve had that happen and that is the reason for the bag. It works as well as the two shelf papers you mentioned. One ‘leaf and garden’ bag will do.
    Thanks for sharing. I don’t believe I’ll share a photo because, I’ve lived here 2 years now and all my cabinets need to be reorganized.
    Mama Bear

Thanks! Yes… garbage bag on the bottom is a good idea! I’ve had leaks too in the past…. they can do a number on it.

16. Jen says:

I am love w/ these ideas – The command hooks are a wonderful solution, especially if you are concerned about damaging your doors. I 100% intend to use the wire rack & basket idea and the rubber glove idea! Thank you!

So glad you like them. I was determined to find something to utilize door space. (I hate wasted space if I need it! lol)

18. Petula says:

Wow, under my sink looks just like your before! Now I’m jealous and encouraged that mine can look like your after! Great work.

Thanks Petula. It wasn’t hard to do… :)

20. Chloe says:

My kitchen sink plumbing has just given me the perfect kick to get under my sink organized. It leaked – there was water all over the cabinet and the floor so at 11pm last night I had to drag everything out. My husband has done some repairs this morning so we’re just waiting for the glue to dry and then I can get organized. It’s amazing what I found there! Duplicates, things I bought again this summer as I didn’t know where I’d put them LOL. Anyway I now have some ideas for how to get it in order. Shame I don’t have any command hooks as using them for rubber gloves is a great idea. I’ll have to order some to keep in for my next organizing emergency!

Thanks Chloe. Sorry about the mess, but looks like it ended up being a good thing. You can get them just about anywhere now, Target, Walmart, Lowes, Home Depot. Might be easier than ordering. Have fun organizing!

22. I love the idea of baskets on the doors!

23. cindy says:

Looks great, but you really need some type of liner for the base of your cabinet to protect against damage from leaks that may occur. Leaks can
    irreparably damage your cabinet bottom.

24. sissy says:

i just wanted to share another option for hanging items in cabinets to help with organizing. i dont have a pic to show but the day i saw it (don’t remember where.sorry) i immediately tried it….A SMALL TENSION ROD . its great for hanging spray bottles, towels.etc…just user your imagination. hope you are able to utilize this tip. it can be used anywhere/any room the rods can
    be placed .

Thanks Sissy, I have seen that option before myself. Thanks for sharing.

26. Renee says:

I was wondering if Command Hooks held up the rack once you put items into it? I went to do this but I was afraid they wouldn’t hold the weight once the racks had a few household items in them!

27. Linda Schmiedt says:

I have a suggestion for the shelf liner. Use remnant vinyl flooring. It is cheap, heavy duty, and you won’t worry about water leaks ruining your cabinet.
    Love this article/post.