Pots and Pans

April 12, 2011 by

Organize Your Kitchen Cabinet

Kitchen cupboard organizing can be tricky.  Usually we find ourselves with too many pots and pans and not enough storage for them.   There are many solutions.  If you have the space and nice enough looking pans you can get a pot hanger and hang them for some kitchen decor.

I’ll show you what I did to reorganize my pots and pans.

Before

pots and pans before

I use the pan protectors inbetween my pans to try and protect them. I have my George Foreman Grill and crock pot in the back.

lids to pans

I wanted to find a solution for storing our large pancake griddle.  Right now I am keeping it in the bottom drawer of the washing machine! I know.. crazy huh?

Step 1:  Clear everything out and clean the shelves

cleaning cabinets

Step 2: Sort

What do you need?  Look at that item and ask yourself:

1) Have you used it in the last year?  Do you like it?
2) Is the surface of the pan intact (teflon shouldn’t be scratched or peeling)
3) Do all the lids fit pans? Do you have any old lids or damaged lids you don’t use, but have kept?

If there are pots and pans that are in good shape, but you don’t use them or like them – donate them. Anything else may be able to be recycled.

Step 3: Put in organizing items if you have them.

I had 2 lid organizers that mounted to the inside cabinets from my old house.  I never used them because I thought we were moving and didn’t want to lose them.
I also had a white white wire rack that I had used at some point. I got those 3 things and my handy dandy 3M Command Strips (so love these now!) and went to work.

I used the Command Hooks to mount the lid organizers to the inside of each door.

lid organizer

The other side

lid organizer

I did find that some of the lids did not work well in this.  The two larger lids for my orange pots and pans did not both fit. They kept falling forward.  I was able to use one of the lids. The other one I put on the pan it went with.

After

organized pots and pans

Here is the final product!  See the wire rack I put in the back?  I was able to put the smaller pans on that shelf.

I put all my Rachel Ray pans on the left. They are the most used and pans of choice.  Notice I tried to turn the handles so they would be easy to get out of the cupboard.  I also tried to do minimal nesting of the pans.

organized pots and pans

I also had the red pan that I reviewed and really love, but it was a single and we also use it frequently. So I put up another hook and hung it on the wall.

organized pots and pans

Be careful if you are putting something on the wall or the door of your cabinets.  Be sure that you can close them easily when they are on there.

I put the lids on my two dutch ovens and put them on the upper shelf

pots and pans

I still had room for my crock pot on the top shelf and my George Foreman on the bottom.

pots and pans

Now that I have all those lids out of the bottom drawer of the stove… what do you think I did with that?

pancake griddleYep! It fit great.  It will be so much nicer than using the washing machine drawer. lol
Ok…. time for you to tackle your pots and pans!!  I want to see your before and after pictures!

I Love Your Comments!

I liked this post up to these lovely blogs

A bowl full of lemons – One Project at a Time
I’m an Organizing Junkie - 52 Weeks

Comments

18 Responses to “Pots and Pans”
  1. Love it! My center island houses all my pots and pans, too and it’s actually very organized. I like that you used the hooks first with the lid organizer. I have a lid organizer from IKEA, but I’m terrified to drill holes into my cabinet doors. Thanks for the idea!

2. Carol says:

I’m soaking up all these ideas. I’ve never had cabinets that had the half-shelf design, but that’s what’s in the new house. The Man had said he could put in a full shelf for me, but the more I see these the more sense they make. With a full top shelf, I would be crawling around on my hands & knees trying to see what was on the bottom. And I’m too “aged” for that. LOL!!! You, my dear, are filling up my bookmark folder on “Storage & Organization!” Thanks for sharing great ideas.
    CAS

lol… you crack me up! But I am more than happy to fill your bookmark folder! Thanks!

4. LaDonna says:

That is very resourceful information. I am the queen of eliminating the unnecessary. Thank you too for leaving your comment about my fridge declutter. It seems that you and I are kindred spirits. I love your blog and am going nuts searching through it. Thanks for leaving a comment, and I’d love for you to visit Santa Beso sometime soon- again!

Thanks LaDonna! How sweet of you.

6. Rebecca G. says:

Sandy,

I just salivated over your ideas! I loved the pictures of your before and after of pots and pans organization.

I am signing up for your newsletter because I need and want new ideas.

Rebecca

Thanks Rebecca. I don’t actually have a newsletter, but you can subscribe to my blog posts. It is so nice of you to say. I think you’ll like my post tomorrow too on organizing the plastic food storage containers. lol

8. OneMommy says:

I’ve never seen lid organizers like those… I am going to have to look for some. Our lids just sit on the shelf and fall everywhere…

9. Bernetta says:

You gave me some wonderful ideas for organizing my pots and pans. I hadn’t thought about hanging things on the cupboard walls, and I didn’t know about the lid holders. What a great spacesaver. Thanks!

Thanks Bernetta

11. Carolyn says:

Awesome! I am going to head to the store to get some of these lid organizers. I like the idea of the shelf too. Thanks for the great advice!

Your welcome!

13. Alison says:

Where can you purchase wire racks like the ones you used for your lids?

14. Fantastic items from you, man. I have have in mind your stuff prior to and you are simply too magnificent.
    I actually like what you have received here, certainly like what you’re saying and the best way by which you assert it. You are making it enjoyable and you continue to take care of to keep it sensible. I cant wait to read much more from you. This is actually a wonderful web site.

15. Sherry says:

My o my Sandy…I am the opposite of organized and thought I would surf the net to get some ideas for organizing my kitchen. I am finding a wealth of ideas on your blogs! Thank you soooooooooooo much for all this information. I have already purchased things on your blog and I am trying to stick to organizing my whole house. I call my project “Sherry’s Operation Organizer”. Ha! Thanks again. I will be subscribing!

Sherry

16. cole says:

Some great ideas here. I’m going to kee pan eye out for lid holders and a rack like that. I don’t have many cabinets to begin with, but I could make more usable space with rackes!