Decorating Dining Room

June 7, 2011 by

My Dining Room Reveal!

The decorating of my dining room took a little longer than I planned, but it is finished. (Well… ok, almost finished. I still have to finish the chairs. They will be black)  It also inspired my new blog design … you’ll see!

Let’s go over the “before” pictures.  By the way… your input really helped me.

Before

dining room

I was told to move the corner china cabinet either out of the room (not an option) or into the corner in front to the left (that is where it went, so you won’t see it in the after pictures, but it is there)

I was told to move the pie safe out.  I did that.
I was told to move the old lady flower swag out from over my window.. I threw it away. (It was falling apart when I took it down)
I was told to refinish the dining room table. I did that.

I’m going to show you a few things first (I love to tease)

I painted.  Periwinkle.  Actually it is from Glidden (although I had them match it with Behr paint) called Fresh Hyacinth (it is in the blue palette)

periwinkle dining room

I did an extreme chandelier makeover

chandelier

I redid the dining room table

refinished dining room table

I refinished the Ikea Hemnes sofa Table

ikea hemnes sofa table

Refinished the  mirror and added some curtains.

dining room mirror

I added a little fun

mirror

Some plates

plates on wall

And some more fun…

lamps

So are you ready?  Can you picture it yet?

Ok.. again..

Before

dining room before

After

periwinkle dining room

Don’t forget.. the chairs will be all black soon.

Here are a couple other shots

refinished dining room

And the other side

dining room wall

So let me take you on a little tour around the room.
ikea hemnes table

The little white lamp is a for a candle. I found it at Old Time Pottery. The black one is the one from our farm that I painted black. The shade was already black. But we tried two different bulbs in it and it blew them both, so we won’t be plugging it in.  I found the table runner at Hobby Lobby.

dining room

This plate server came from Hobby Lobby and the two plates came from Old Time Pottery. It has already come in handy for my son’s graduation party.

plate server

This wire bowl I found at the Salvation Army store for .99. I figured I would find something to put in it.  When I was at Michael’s I saw this lemon display that looked so real. I thought it would work great. They tend to look at little orange in the picture, but in real life they look really real.

lemons in a bowl

Remember those four little mirrors that I got from Ikea? I painted the two of the white and then I thought they needed a little bling. So I found the stickers at Hobby Lobby to put on them.

decorating the dining room

I haven’t put anything in the baskets yet. I’d like to figure out a liner for them first.  But I did find a couple other things that worked well for the little slots above the baskets.

sofa table

I found this at Hobby Lobby and it worked so well with the runner that I had to get it.

tray

I got this wire basket at Old Time Pottery . I was looking for something to put napkins in.

napkin basket

Here is my other fun fine for only .90 at Old Time Pottery. It matched the look of the one I got at Hobby Lobby. I don’t don’t think we will put our silverware in it. I might get an extra set for it, or put the serving utensils. But it even had the same white stitching on the outside of it.

silverware tray

On the wall above it we have the mirror that I refinished.

dining room wall

Thankfully someone told me that the wall sconces went the direction I have them. Remember this? That is how I thought it went. Funny thing is when I was ready to hang them, my husband kept telling me that I was putting them upside down.  LOL (yes, I did admit to him that I had first thought they went that way too.)

I found this cute “We” decoration at Hobby Lobby.

We are blessed

I also found the cute candle holder with the bling at Hobby Lobby.  I showed you the “laugh” mirror above, that is what is right behind this candle holder.

candle holder

Here are the other two mirrors.

mirror I found these stickers at Hobby Lobby.

family mirror

I love our letter “J”.  It was gold, but I painted it the Dover white also.

letter J

Here is my plate wall.  I found all the plates at Old Time Pottery. If I had more time (once I decided I was going to do a plate wall) I would have hit some garage sales etc.  But I didn’t pay more than $2 for any of the plates.

plate wall I was pleased how it looked.  The kids and my husband didn’t get it. “Are you going to write something on them?” “What else are you doing with them?”  and of course, “Why are you hanging plain plates on the wall?”  But they all admitted after the room was completed that they thought they looked good.

Here is my china cabinet hiding in the other corner. My sister said she would have painted it too.. but I just couldn’t bring myself to do that. I was so excited when I found this china cabinet (many years ago now). I looked all over for one and finally found it in an Amish store. I don’t mind that it is still brown, you don’t really see it when you first walk in anyway.

dining room

I took a dry erase board and used chalkboard paint on it, to create this.  I then saw the saying (which I changed up quite a bit). My artistic ability isn’t the greatest. My son thought it looked like hair coming out of the coffee cup. I said… “No, it is whip cream and I added some brown to make it look like chocolate.”  After I took this picture I added a lot more white and it does look a bit better now.  I used the chalkboard markers to write on this.

chalkboard

I saw this plate at Hobby Lobby and passed it by on several trips. But when it was 50% off and only $5, I couldn’t resist it any longer.

initial plate

I’m down to one wall to go! lol

I found my curtains at JC Penney’s

white curtains

I purchased the black curtain rod and pull backs also. I didn’t have any curtains up before. I just had mini blinds (which I am going to replace as soon as I get some nicer wood ones – white of course).  The curtains are nice, they are lined and I love the look of the fabric with the room.

curtain pull back

The last thing is my “black wall”.

dining room decor

I told you in my sanding post I had that little chest of drawers that my mother loved.  I painted it black and used chalkboard paint on the front of the drawers. I used my chalkboard markers to write the numbers on the drawers.

little chest of drawersI found the trivets at Old Time Pottery. I had planned on using them actually, but I decided they looked much better on this wall.

trivets on wall

Thanks for visiting my new dining room!  What do you think?

Don’t forget you can link your decorating, organizing, DIY blog posts to my Organizing Mission Link party!

I’m linking this up to these lovely blogs!

Creating a House of Grace – Twice Owned Tuesdays
Tip Junkie – Tip Me Tuesday
A Bowl Full of Lemons – One Project at a Time
Thrifty Decor Chick – Before and After Party
Ask Anna – Weekend Warrior Link Party
Handy Man, Crafty Woman – Wicked Awesome Wednesday
Organize & Decorate Everything – Home Decor & Organizing Party
Blue Cricket Design – Show & Tell
I’m an Organizing Junkie – 52 Weeks

Comments

39 Responses to “Decorating Dining Room”
  1. That came out so great! I think I have almost the exact same color in one of our rooms! :-)

really? Don’t you love it? I liked it so well it inspired my new blog look too! lol

3. Sandy,

It looks great! Really changes the whole feel of the room.

A question: What’s Hobby Lobby?

And an idea – for the white plates that look/feel a bit blank to your family – use a washable marker to write the menu on them when you are eating in the dining room. Each course goes on a different plate. Then just rinse them off, or use a damp cloth to clean. Easy, informative and fun! I use the same concept every day – I write the days menu on a white tile in my kitchen.

4. Love it Sandy! Can you come redecorate my whole house? LOL I really like your site redesign too. You have been busy.

I am working on getting organized with my Blogging Binder I won at your presentation. Thanks again!

Thanks Melissa! Cool… let me know how it works for you!

Great Idea Evelyn. Thanks!

7. Roberta says:

Everything came out fantastic Sandy and you should be so pleased and proud of yourself for taking it all on…including the advice ;) On one of the Nate Berkus shows they pasted black & white photos onto white plates and hung them on the wall…so that may be an option for your plates and your family might like that…lol The silverware organizer in your buffett can also be used to organize things like candles and napkin rings and will be handy next to the table. I have those in every single drawer and use them to sort all sorts of things from cocktail items to candles and lighters/matches…I have lots of tapers ;) ALSO love the look of your new blog…very professional looking. Lucky you to find a designer to help you out and that is affordable. I’m still plugging along with my conversion…ugh…we won’t go there. Have a great day. Fondly, Roberta

Thanks Roberta. Good idea on the silverware holder. Oh… if I were doing my blog myself, it wouldn’t be pretty! lol Yes… my designer is great. I sent her some pictures from my dining room and kitchen and she created it! I just told her the colors I’d like.

9. i love this whole room, and that black wall is fab! so many interesting and personal things in here. great!

Thanks! I had fun with it all, but the black wall was kind of a last minute thing that came together.

11. Katie says:

Sandy, It turned out great! I love the paint color that is the same that we have in our living room!! I have also been dreaming up a place to put a white plate wall, I like how yours turned out. Good work!

thanks! I’ll have to come look at your living room on your blog. I looked everywhere online for periwinkle rooms. I had a very hard time finding them.

13. Anna says:

That’s very cute, I LOVE the new buffet! I’d love it if you linked it with my party too, it’s still open. Here’s the link:http://www.askannamoseley.com/2011/06/weekend-warrior-link-party-7-and.html

Anna

14. Becca says:

It looks amazing! I think the blue paint is my favorite part!

Sure will Anna. Thanks for the invite!

16. Denyse says:

You did a great job, Sandy! Isn’t it a sense of great accomplishment when you see such a transformation??? I love what you did with the IKEA expedit (buffet)…Very creative!!!

thanks Denyse!!

18. karenM says:

Beautiful.. I am speechless.. you did a fabulous job. Love your chalk board.. I just saw a tutorial for a platter that had spray painted the chalk paint on the inside of the platter.. they left out edge white.. might be something you want to add.

Thanks Karen and thanks for the idea!

20. Regina Helms says:

Hi Sandy….I am your newest follower, I love the dining room! We are in the process of finishing our basement and I will have an office/craftroom down there, and the colors I have picked out are the exact same colors in your dining room! You have done an amazing job.
    have a great day,
    Regina
    p.s. I would love for you to visit my blog.

Sure.. I”ll stop by Regina. Thank you!

22. gena says:

I LOVE it ! The color is spectacular (says the lady that lives in a lavender house !) and everything looks fresh and inviting !

thanks for sharing,
    gena

Thanks Gena!

24. Leanne says:

Your dining room looks amazing! I love the color you chose. Thanks for linking to the party.

25. Beth says:

really like the DR. I have been looking for a something similar to your storage piece from IKEA. It looks great. Did you purchase the baskets through them as well?

Yes I did. I wanted to make sure the baskets were going to be the perfect fit, so I got them while I was there.

27. I absolutely love it! When the chairs are done it will really look amazing. I admit I kinda like them white too. I have a similar recipe quote on a notecard made by my DD in preschool. Love it.

Enjoy your new dining room!

28. Wendy Salmon says:

Gorgeous yet whimsical! I love it. Isn’t it amazing how we can re-use what we already have by repainting or refinishing it? They’re like brand new items.

I, too, used to have the “old lady flower swags” and in the past five years have thrown out every ’90′s dried flower arrangement I ever owned.

Thanks! Now if I could just get the rest of the house done! lol

30. Hanan says:

It looks beautiful! I love the black and purple!!

Thanks Hanan!

32. Alicia says:

I love the wall color!

33. Wow, this is awesome! I love the colors and I really like the chandelier makeover!

Thanks Alicia. It makes me feel good when I see it.

35. Petula says:

Your room is so gorgeous! Thanks for sharing your photos. You taught me something about decorating… that the sconces don’t have to be one on each side, etc. I like symmetrical (type A, OCD personality. LOL), but I also have a creative side that likes a little diversity in decorating.

Fabulous post and awesome work. Now if I can just repeat some of what you’ve done without having to paint or refinish anything then I’ll be a happy camper. :-)

36. Mila says:

kinda looks like a teenage girl’s room.

37. Rachel says:

I love the accesories you’ve found, fun! Have you come across the Design with Christine blog in your decorating adventures? Her blog has helped me so much with decorating, she cured me of my decorating paralysis ;) What I love is how honest she is with her advice–she says you have friends to tell you they love your choices, you have her to be brutally honest :) I think she would tell you to lower your white mirror about a foot so there is some overlap with the lower elements in your arrangement. She is fond of saying your wall decore needs to have relationship with the furniture below first, and then the wall at large, otherwise it looks disjointed & floating. (This post explains it really well http://www.christinefife.com/design-with-christine/2009/11/24/strengthen-your-relationships-the-interior-design-way.html )
    I love your creamy curtains, with small children I couldn’t pull that off but it looks lovely in your space :) If you want to up the wow there i would hang a second set of printed drapes, higher & wider, and overlapping the cream drapes. I’m picturing a buffalo plaid in a darker shade of your wall color that has cream in it, but that might not be your style–definitely a print though, maybe something that complements your table runner?