Back To School Routine
Get Your Routine Set Before The First Day of School
Are you ready for school to start? My best advice to you is decide what your morning routine is going to be, in advance of school starting? Make a chore board… or routine board.
Why? Because once the hectic mornings begin, it will be hard to change habits.
Here are my suggestions for a morning routine.
1) Get up at least 15 minutes earlier than you “think” you need to. There will always be a glass of spilled milk or a “melt down” when you least expect it.
2) Have a “chore board” or “morning routine board” if needed to help your child remember their morning routine.
3) PREPARE the night before!!!
* Pack lunches or lunch money
* Lay out clothes
* Have book bags ready to go
* Homework inside in the bookbags
* Library books inside the bookbags (you get the point)
* Take your shower the night before if possible.
* Have breakfast planned and table set
After School Routine Tips
1) Routine…Routine….Routine. (kids need it)
2) Book bags emptied when they come in the door. Have a specific spot for their papers where you can go through them.
4) Homework time (don’t delay it, get it over with..they are still in school mode..not play mode yet.)
5) Have a quiet place, with low stimulus for homework. Desk in their room without tv, or a kitchen table.
6) Put their book bags away in a set spot. Hooks on the back of a door can work great.
It isn’t hard to establish a routine, but don’t expect your children to do it. You need to do it for them. Once you get it going…within a couple of weeks it will be habit to them. They won’t think anything of it – kids need routine.
Your days will go much smoother with just a few rules put in place. Believe me… I’ve been there.. done that (I have 3 adult sons….remember?