Agree to Disagree

March 29, 2013 by

With this being Easter Weekend, I wanted to speak my mind a bit. Can’t we just agree to disagree?

Social Media (world issues) having been kind of blowing up right now. I can think of three biggies that have prompted me to write this post.

Screen shot 2013-03-29 at 9.07.41 AM

What I don’t like to see in social media is for people to be bashing other people for what they believe. Do you really think you’ll change their mind by arguing with their Facebook post? I don’t think so.

I do my best to stay out of the “drama” of politics and religion on social.  It isn’t worth it to me. Do I have strong believes in both areas, sure I do… as many others do. I’m Christian and conservative and I am not into the “everything has to be organic” food issue. I SHOULD be able to put up my feelings about issues, marriage, guns, what foods I want to eat – but I don’t want the drama. And I know there will be drama.

I get it, I know people feel they are convicted in what they believe in. Great! Post it on your page. What I don’t like is when people go to other people’s pages, who believe differently and tell them they are wrong. I don’t go to your pages and try to tell you that I don’t like what you posted or that I believe differently?

I don’t like when people bash a Brand or bloggers who support that brand, because it’s different than what they think is right.
I don’t like when people tell me I shouldn’t have a gun, or I shouldn’t have “liked’ an article I liked.
I don’t like that I don’t feel I can express my opinion on marriage on FB without repercussions.

We are always going to have different views. I’m not going to try and tell you that your view is wrong. I don’t think anyone should. I know it happens on both side.  Seriously, why can’t we just post what we want, not yell at others for what they believe, not attack Brands that are working to promote their product, or bloggers who think that product is fine … and just Agree to Disagree.

Comments

10 Responses to “Agree to Disagree”
  1. Jenna says:

I agree to an extent, but sometimes there just ARE repercussions for having certain views. Of course I’m going to think differently about someone who posts their views against marriage equality. Doesn’t mean I hate them or refuse to associate with them, but I can’t help but have a lower opinion about someone who thinks that two people should be denied to right to enter into a legal contract because they’re both the same sex. I’m not gay, but many of my closest friends are. How would you feel about someone who wanted to deny your best friend the same legal protections you have? What if someone thought YOU shouldn’t be able to be married because of xyz reason, and that your marriage did not deserve legal standing? Views which actively seek to harm others or deny them something are not easy to agree to disagree on, because they are *dangerous* to others!

The gun debate is similar, although I think it is a lot more nuanced and along a continuum. But at one end you have people who believe the other side is going to try to stop them from keeping their guns or getting more. On the other end, you have people who believe that if the pro-gun side has their way, the consequence is going to be markedly more death and destruction. To both sides, the other one is dangerous. Now, this is an issue where I think there is a lot more opportunity for meeting in the middle than the marriage issue, but in any case it’s hard for someone to agree to disagree with a view when they believe it directly threatens themselves or others.

2. Jenna says:

That being said…while what someone posts on their Facebook may affect my opinion of them, I rarely if ever comment with an opposing view (on the rare occasions that I do, it is to refute something that is demonstrably false). I don’t think it’s a polite place to have those conversations, and if someone on my friends list posts stuff like that all the time, I just ignore them. Similarly, I show a lot of restraint when I post about those issues. I may show support for something but it’s no place to rant about views on those topics.

3. Cheers to all of the above!

4. Very well said Sandy! I am the same way and choose to keep my views to myself. I don’t know why people choose to bash others and brands who do not have the same views. It makes me sad and angry! :( thanks for a great post!

5. I made the mistake of commenting that my children and I went to see one of the Presidential candidates last fall as they passed through our area. I thought it was a great learning opportunity for my teens. I was so discouraged by the uproar it caused on my page and I didn’t even state I was voting for that person! I finally had to ask everyone to stop commenting because it was getting so heated.

Yes, I understand exactly what you mean.

6. Bonnie R. says:

Wow… I just followed a link here from someone else’s website… ORGANIZE WITH SANDY… That’s what the link said… Was excited to check out your website and then what is the first post I see? Politics of Facebook… If it’s a problem WITH Facebook, then why not take your post to Facebook? I can read that kind of stuff on Facebook any day… I sure didn’t expect to come to an organizing blog and see it… I’m just saying…

Although I write about organizing, there are times I also feel the necessity to write about other things that I think is important to say. Thanks for your thoughts Bonnie.

That’s too bad Tonya. I agree, it would be a good learning opportunity for anyone to be able to see a Presidential candidate.

Thanks Heather!

10. Patrick says:

I think it’s a shame that we’ve reached a point in social media in which the normal assumption is that anything anyone posts is there for the readers to just rip apart.

It’s not the kind of behavior most of the complainers would take all that kindly to on their own sites, I suspect, yet they have no qualms about doing it to someone else.

How sad.