Outdoor lightings play a significant role in households, majorly for security purposes, especially if someone who stays in an area will see minimum streetlights.
Further, outdoor lights come in several shapes and sizes that can add beauty to your garden or veranda and highlight your house infrastructure, garden, or fence.
If you have kids in their house, lighting is an important aspect to ensure their security, avoid injuries, and keep them safe from being lost.
But you might want to take a look at several types of lights that may offer what you need in terms of lighting efficiency, color, intensity, power, shape, size, affordability, and other factors and then compare it with the best available options in the market.
Hence, before jumping on to buying the best-suited light for yourself, look at the most cost-effective and best options available. Below are two types of light: solar light, which works on solar energy, and the other option is low voltage light that works on electricity.
This document gives insights regarding solar vs. low voltage landscape lighting and helps you choose the best one according to your needs.
- 1 Solar Lights
- 2 Features of Solar lights
- 3 Disadvantages
- 4 Low Voltage Landscape Lighting
- 5 Benefits of Low Voltage Lights
- 6 Conclusion
This document giving information about solar vs. low voltage landscape lighting. Solar light is the one in which the source of energy comes from the sun.
Solar energy is the renewable and sustainable source of generating energy and running several equipment types that require energy.
Solar energy is gaining importance in recent times due to the increasing scarcity of other energy sources such as fuel, electricity, and others.
- Powered by free solar energy and no electricity required. The solar panel supports long-term operations. They will come on automatically at night and turn off automatically at dawn. There is a switch ON/OFF under the light cover, make sure you turn the switch to ON position before charging. Measures: 3.3 x 3.3 x 13.4 inches per lights.
- Suitable for outdoor use, the light can work normally under all kinds of weather with the waterproof rating of IP44 and weatherproof, no worries about rain, snow, frost, and sleet.
- NO WIRES. Push the stake into the soil, it just takes a few seconds. When you receive solar lights, please turn the switch to ON position under the light cap then place the light cover upside down at the table to check whether the lights will light up or not.
- 1 lumen, IS DESIGNED FOR DECORATION, MAYBE NOT BRIGHT ENOUGH, BUT THE LIGHT IS WARM AND GENTLE. Add a charming, decorative glow to your pathway, decorate your garden, porch or yard.
- If for any reason you are not satisfied, please let us know and our customer service team will help you RETURN OR REFUND.
Hence scientists and researchers are making efforts to make the best use of renewable sources of energy in various devices that are in use.
These devices include water heaters, lights, streetlights, generators, and many more.
Moreover, the rising importance of solar power among individuals due to the increasing importance of saving fuels and using sustainable energy sources due to its eco-friendly nature are accelerating its consumption.
Features of Solar lights
1. Easy to Implement
Solar lights are straightforward to install and do not require any expert electricians to light the bulbs. You can find yourself get the lights and instantly place them whenever and wherever is required.
They can be placed wherever you wish to get the light even if there is no sunlight reaching to that area in your surroundings, or the parts like balcony or veranda which doesn’t have direct sunlight reaching them. There are two ways of installing solar lights around your house.
You can directly get the shop lights and insert them on the areas at some distances in the parks on the ground and other places. The light bulbs come in direct contact with the sunlight and get charged through the sun’s energy. The bulbs later consume this light to generate light and emit it in their surroundings.
When the sunlight does not reach directly, you can use solar bulbs just by using a chord for energy transmission. In this, you must place the solar panel in the sun and then place the bulb wherever you want and then connect the two with a chord. This makes solar energy easy to install and maintain wherever you wish to place it.
If you are looking for cost savings in their home lighting project, solar lighting is the most affordable and cost-effective option for you. As the energy generated from the solar light comes from the sun, the lighting is almost free of cost, and you only must pay for the equipment it uses to emit light.
This lighting system also saves up to your installation cost as it is easy to install, and you can do it yourself. Further, a rare need for maintenance, no setup cost, no added cost of the electric system, or the recurring electricity expense every month makes it the highly preferred option.
There are two types of solar lights base on cost-
These are the ones which are readily available at a low price at your nearby store. They are the most affordable option if you are looking for a temporary lighting option. However, these lights face a possibility of fading in their charging capacity and, hence, emitting light. Further, these lights may have a low intensity of power emission as compared to the other lights.
Long term lights
These lights work on batteries, which can be replaced from time to time. They have a long life and work with high efficiency and provide high-intensity lighting. These lights cost higher than the former ones, but it is a one-time cost for the lighting system’s long-term benefits.
Further, they too do not involve a considerable setup cost or recurring electricity bill apart from some minimum cost of batteries, which may have to be changed after some period.
It is a well-stated fact that solar lights are highly durable. They are sufficient to be used in every weather condition even when there is no sun as the weather is cloudy. Solar power enables limitless emission of light for as long as you want without causing any problems that require high maintenance to the users.
However, despite all the benefits, solar lights have some disadvantages. They have the requirement of charging for the entire day to emit light during the night. Sometimes, during the days with cloudy weather, the basic designs of solar light may not last for the entire night. Further, it also may have the issue of low intensity as compared to other counterparts.
Low Voltage Landscape Lighting
Here, we discuss the next part of solar vs. low voltage landscape lighting-
Low voltage lights are like regular lights except for the amount of voltage it uses. The regular lights require 120 volts for operation, whereas the low voltage lights only require 12 volts of voltage.
- 【Update 12W Landscape Lights Super Brightness Compared to others】10 Pack 12W LED Lights, 900 Lumens great for illuminating your Patio, Garden Path Back Yard fences—Both make security and decoration with beautiful warm white light.
- 【Update Screw Tight Design Connector Ultra Hard Compared to others】 20 Pack Connectors， made from extremely hard nylon plastic with machined terminal brass pins and nickel coated to ensure your landscape lights work perfectly. NO Splicing/Crimping or tools required! Quickly and easily install two low-voltage cable to lighting fixtures in 5 minutes or less!
- 【Upgrade IP65 Waterproof】Thick aluminum body and glass lens cover design withstand rainy and snowy weather; IP65 waterproof design which greatly improves the stability of outdoor lighting and long-term use.
- 【Upgrade Roatable & Flexible Angle Adjustment】90° Beam Angle, 270 degree adjustable head provides best light for the walls,trees,flags &fences; widely used for garden, yard, patio, pathway, driveway and outdoor decorations
- 【Easy Installation】Just insert the light spike stand into the suitable position on ground, then use our fastlock connectors to connect landscape lighting fixtures. Extra accessories needed: transformer, low voltage wires( NOT INCLUDED in this pack)
These are highly preferred lights, especially in areas where there is no regular constant sunlight. The primary aim of this light is to save energy. The light also allows its customers to set a timer for automatic turn on and turn off the lights to save light on and off, hence providing maximum convenience.
Benefits of Low Voltage Lights
1. Reliability and Flexibility
The low voltage lights are highly reliable as they do not require sunlight as a source of energy. They run on electricity, which is consistent. Hence, these lightings are functional irrespective of the weather conditions and other situations that may hinder otherwise.
, Unlike solar lights, low voltage lights do not fear not emitting enough light during cloudy or rainy days. At places where there is barely any sunlight throughout the year, these are the most preferred options as they help save electricity and convenience of use.
Moreover, as mentioned before, the lights allow the users to set timers for automatic on and off the system. When you feel a requirement of low intensity of light, especially in situations when you are not at home but want the lights on to trick the thieves and keep your house safe, this is the most secure and safe solution you can find.
Additionally, when you want to increase the light’s intensity up to the extent that it provides a spotlight to the desired location, low voltage lights offer you the solution.
2. Adding Aesthetics to the Ambiance
Low voltage lights are available in several styles and colors that can be implemented to add a great ambiance around your house and offer safety and security. The intensity and lighting can be adjusted to create different moods or hold parties at the place. It gives a sophisticated look to your house and draws attention and praises from the people passing by.
3. Implementation and Maintenance
The implementation and maintenance of the solar lights may require professional help as it needs electric operations. The installations may take some time, but it is a one-time investment, and they get fixed permanently unless you are planning to move them.
Once these lights are implemented according to your wish, they barely require any maintenance or other efforts to keep them running. However, they may require some external cleaning after a specific duration to maintain the light’s intensity and not face any hindrance in the light emission.
The cost of implementing a low voltage landscape lighting system may appear to be higher if considered with solar vs. low voltage landscape lighting frame of reference.
These lights require installations, which must be done by a professional electrician who may charge you some amount. Further, other factors such as equipment cost, electricity cost may also add up.
Although there is no maintenance cost, one may have to change the lights when their intensity starts to fade out.
One cannot decide between solar vs. low voltage landscape lighting and determine which is the best option for you to accept yourself as you know your requirements. Installing outdoor lights is very common among people living in bungalows and independent apartments.
Choosing the best light for you depends on various aspects such as the reason for its need, area of the house, locality, weather conditions if kids are staying, budget, and many others.