A garden shed is usually a small room that stands apart from the main buildings on the site. Its main purpose is to store garden tools and other garden supplies. A garden shed can be bought ready-made or you can build it yourself.
Problems with small garden sheds
Since the main task of a garden shed is to provide reliable storage for garden tools and other items, protecting them from precipitation, temperature changes and other negative external influences, it must be spacious enough to fit everything you need. At the same time, it should be easy for a person to move around within the shed to look for things they need, and this means that there should be no clutter.
Top 5 ideas for expanding your garden shed
Even if you do not have the opportunity to build a spacious garden shed, all things can be organized in the most convenient way even in the smallest garden shed. To achieve this, it is worth considering the following tips:
- Using a garden cabinet. Its main task is to store a large number of tools and other things in one place including squirrels favorite food. If you install a garden cabinet, you will no longer have to ply from corner to corner and wall to wall in search of the item you need. Its design is quite simple, so it will be quite easy to set it up yourself. For more convenience and functionality, the cabinet can be supplemented with organizer drawers and a folding table. If the room is too small, such a cabinet is placed along the walls or in the corner. The interior space can be anything depending on the preferences and needs of the owner.
- Constructing a shovel hanger. It also has a simple design, which allows you to conveniently place all shovels, rakes, etc. To make the shovel hanger, you can buy an ordinary wall hanger, or you can replace it with ordinary hooks that are attached to the wall. The size of the hanger will depend on the size of the garden shed and the amount of garden tools that you have. Thus, all the shovels and other tools will be kept in one place and you do not have to look for them around the yard.
- Compact inventory racks. If you don’t want to build a shovel rack, but you want your entire inventory to be in an orderly state, you can use special racks. They do not take up a lot of space, but at the same time they can hold a large number of items. Their main highlight is the large number of drawers.
- Pallet stands. If pallets are not at hand, you can use ordinary wooden slats instead, on which boards of a suitable width are installed. Here you can store various tools and small inventory.
- Using wall mounts. If the garden shed is very compact, it will be a good idea to use wall brackets. You can make them yourself using pipe cuttings, old building buckets, etc. Replacing standard cabinets and floor structures with wall mounts will help declutter and free up as much free space as possible.
Arranging a garden shed
Often, summer residents find a lot of other uses for ordinary garden shed:
- Greenhouse. A small extension is made to the canopy, in which the walls will be covered with glass. This will provide the seedlings with sufficient sunlight and save on artificial lighting. Shelves are made on a wooden frame to hold the plants.
- Large garden sheds. If you competently and tastefully approach the arrangement of the garden shed, you will be able to build a full-fledged relaxation room where you can read a book or even take a nap.
- Workshop. A great option is converting the shed into a workshop. It will be the perfect comfortable space for working on your projects, since everything you need is at hand. Therefore, you do not have to waste time looking for the right tool on the site. Also, the advantage of having a separate workshop is that the noise from the tools will not disturb the household. To organize a workshop, all you have to do is set up a workbench, shelving, and conduct electricity to the building.
- Summer shower. To convert the awning into an outdoor shower, you need to install a large water tank on the roof. For example, it can be a plastic or metal barrel in which the water will be heated by the sun. In addition, a drain is made inside the building. In order not to harm the walls of the structure, they must be finished with moisture-resistant materials.
- Study. For those who wish to work from their summer house, the option of converting a garden shed into a personal office is suitable. All you need to do is install a desk, a chair, hang curtains that will help protect the computer monitor from the sun’s rays, and, most importantly, provide internet to your garden office from the main building.
- Playroom for children. Every child loves to build huts for themselves in which they can have fun and play. An alternative to the hut can be a garden shed, converted into a playroom. To make the child comfortable here, you need to put a carpet on the floor. You should also use soft pillows and build shelves for storing children’s toys.
A garden shed, despite its size, can become a useful and convenient room in which you can not only store garden tools, but also equip a study, a children’s playroom, a greenhouse, a shower and much more. It all depends on your wishes and needs while spending time in the garden.