Patios or porches are the best places where you can organize small gatherings and relax with your loved ones.
They are great to be utilized during springs or even summer. But during winters, the snow-packed patios make it difficult to utilize that place.
We need to battle the freezing winter winds and temperature to use that space.
An enclosed patio can mean different for many people. In this article, we have specifically spoken about a three-season room or a sunroom.
This kind of an enclosed patio gives you the freedom to enjoy the sights, sounds, and beautiful view of spring, summers, and fall in the cooler days and nights that too at the comfort of your home.
This article will help you understand how you can keep your enclosed patio warm so that you can enjoy it all year round.
1. Portable Heaters
The least expensive way of keeping an enclosed patio or sunroom warm that too under $100 is using Space heaters. They run perfectly fine and are easy to use as simply plugging it in and turning it on.
However, they come with their own drawbacks of using a lot of energy to produce relatively little heat. If you research about them, you will see that there are so many choices, good and bad.
- EFFICIENT HEATING - 46000 BTU Patio Propane Deck Heater's dimension is 18.5-inch x 18.5-inch x...
- EASY TO ASSEMBLE - UPHA Tall Outdoor Gas Heater is powder-coated brown finish that stands up to...
- EASY TO OPERATE - UPHA Large Patio Heater is equipped with a ignition button and a variable-heat...
- SAFETY & CERTIFICATE - UPHA LP Outdoor Heater adopts an anti-slant design with a built-in safety...
- WIDELY USE - UPHA Garden Patio Heater is an ideal choice for you, it will extend your outdoor...
Since enclosed patios are generally not well-insulated as they are outside of the house, this allows the heat to escape more quickly. Because of this, the portable heater must do all the work, which is why it may lead to house fires and fatalities.
If you do not have much floor space, ceiling or wall-mounted heaters can be a good choice for you. They use the radiant heat to warm the room, and you could feel soft, warm heat as if it is directly coming from the sun.
- We would not recommend oil filled radiant heaters which takes too long to heat up the porch. Similarly, it would be best if you also avoided propane patio heaters, unless you have proper ventilation, to avoid carbon monoxide accumulation.
- Although, you can consider installing smaller, portable, electric fireplaces. They will step up your interior décor and help keep the heat circulating rather than just rising and out.
- Another option you might want to look at is Better- Infrared Heater. Instead of heating the air, these heaters heat objects, making them more efficient than the others. They come in various designs, some are mounted over ceilings, and some are tall free-standing, while others can be short, movable, or mounted on the floor.
- Overhead mounted heaters work well and preserve your floor space as well. Free-standing heaters are also a good choice as they warm up the lower half of the room, and you can move it around too!
- 4,000- to 9,000-BTU radiant heater for spaces up to 225 square feet. Approved for indoor/outdoor...
- When operating the heater at altitudes over 7,000 FT above sea level the heater may shut off.
- Auto shut-off if tipped over, if pilot light goes out, or if detects low oxygen levels. Fuel...
- Fold-down handle; swivel-out regulator; connects to propane tank (not included); Run Time (Hrs at...
- THE USE OF UN-AUTHORIZED ACCESSORIES/ATTACHMENTS WITH THIS HEATER ARE EXPRESSLY PROHIBITED, MAY...
2. Insulating Materials
Since we already know the damage caused by the heaters, it is better to find an alternative to it. If you can direct the heat from the main areas of your house to your enclosed patio, you may not actually need a portable heater. You might consider adding.
Installing Clear Vinyl on The Screens
You can keep the warmth from escaping outside by installing clear Vinyl inside the screens. They work best with heat coming from a heat source or the main house into the enclosed patio.
Radiant Floor Heating
You can purchase heating mats that offer supplement heating and are a great option if you want a little extra warmth.
Heavy throw rugs or carpeting are again common but effective options that you can use to keep your feet warm. It also prevents the cold concrete slab below from absorbing the heat.
Thermal-insulated curtains are specifically designed to keep the heat from escaping. Just leave them open during the day to absorb heat and shut them in the dark.
- EASY TO INSTALL: 2 curtain panels per package. Each lined blackout curtain measures 42 inches wide...
- MAXIMUM BLACKOUT: with black lining backing, our 100% light blocking curtains are thick enough to...
- ENERGY SAVING: our 2 layers insulated curtains help balance your room temperature by preventing...
- SOUND PROOF: our heavyweight double layer curtains panels are effective on absorbing sound 2 times...
- MACHINE WASHABLE: these durable black out drapes are thick, soft, winkle free and easy to care. Wash...
3. Ductless Heating and Cooling
Ductless heating gives the power and efficiency of a central unit with the customization just for that one room. It is also referred to as mini-split, which uses an outdoor heat pump to generate heat that travels through thin, plastic tubing. It also has a built-in thermostat that enables you to set the temperature you want.
4. Extending home’s Ductwork
If you already have a traditional furnace set up, you might consider continuing the ductwork to your patio. However, it can be costly and not worth the cost at the same time.
The overall cost from designing, fabrication up till installation may cost over a thousand dollars.
Even after which, the heat will be controlled by the thermostat inside, which registers from a warmer room in the house.