Many people get confused between shovels and spades, and for clearing their doubts, we have explained here about some of the different types of shovels available in the market.
But before moving forward with the types of shovels, firstly, we must understand about shovels. Some of the different parts collectively create a shovel-like grip, which is one of the major parts as it would help the user make a solid grip over the shovel so that the user can dig out the sand from the garden.
The second thing is a handle, which is mainly used for connecting the grip with the upper blade, and this thing is as important as the grip because if it is not of good quality, then there would be a lot of problems caused due to it.
The last part is the blade, which is the central part of the shovel as it is one of those parts due to which the whole mechanism works. Taking about some of the different types of shovels used for a different purpose, here we have mentioned some of them:
Types of Shovels – Explained
1. Trench Shovels
This is one of those shovels primarily used by professional gardeners. These shovels can generate massive power because the arms and torso generate the power generated over these shovels.
This shovel would help you in digging out the sand or mud from the outlines of your garden. Due to the long handle, you can easily dig out the soil from the ground without putting down your legs inside the muddy outlines.
- OCCASIONS:Ideal for camping,hiking,self-defense,backpacking,fishing,hunting,gardening outdoor activities.
- MULTI-FUNCTIONAL:Digging,sawing,cutting,hammering,shoveling.Can be used either straight or at a 90°angle as a shovel, hoe, pick or saw
- PORTABLE:Folds,small size,foldable with a carrying pouch.Head size is 8.2"/21cm.Total length 22.8"/58cm.Package size is 7.5"x10.2"/19cmx26cm.It weights 2.5lbs/1.15kg.Blade thickness 1.5mm,strong enough to endure the toughest conditions.You can keep it in your car,backpack or toolbox,this shovel will get you out of any tight situation!
- PREMIUM MATERIAL:50# High-Carbon steel body and comfortable triangular handle are toughness.The cutting edge is sharp.
- 100% MONEY BACK GUARANTEE: REDCAMP offers a 365-day full manufacturer warranty. If any piece broken, contact us and we issue you a full refund or a replacement.
But at the same time, the quality of the shovel would become even more critical because, in some of the cases, it is found that due to high pressure applied on the shovel, the handle would get bent shovel becomes useless.
2. Flat Shovels
Do you want to move inert material from one place to another? Well, flat shovels would help you do so, as they are flat from the top, which helps them collect a lot of materials. The flat shovel also has bends at the surface, which helps you collect the material right from the bottom, which helps you get perfect cleaning of mud or any other sluggish material.
- TABOR TOOLS J212 STRAIGHT EDGE DIGGING SHOVEL has a straight edge blade with a slightly rounded end, rather than pointed. This shovel can come in handy for edging and trenching tasks or moving small shrubs and bushes. The square edge of the digger is perfect for digging into hard soil, so it can be ideal for dry areas with compact grounds. It is a great tool ideal for digging in tough soil. The sharpened blade makes it easy to penetrate tough soil or break up hardened dirt clods.
- TEMPERED STEEL HEAD: Durable heat-treated head with rust-resistant powder coated paint. A sturdy steel collar reinforces head to handle assembly. The blade features a forward turned-step for secure foot placement and increased pushing power. The blade slices easily through small roots and tough soil.
- STRONG, LIGHTWEIGHT FIBERGLASS HANDLE: The handle is constructed of fiberglass for increased durability and strength. It is just as strong and hefty as a wood shovel, with the added light weight comfort of the fiberglass. Overall, this is a balanced and dependable tool, which will soon become YOUR BEST FRIEND IN THE GARDEN.
- COMFORTABLE NON-SLIP D-GRIP: The non-slip D-handle provides comfort and good grip, and gives enough room to accommodate a gloved hand.
- ORDER WITH CONFIDENCE. We at TABOR TOOLS stand behind our products. Please don’t hesitate to contact us for support, questions about our products or spare parts you might need.
Not only for the lightweight material, but these shovels are also used for collecting small rocks present in the soil. However, if you want to take the benefit of grabbing out the rocks from the soil, then you need to purchase a high-quality shovel, which is quite expensive in comparison to the other shovels.
3. Edging Shovels
This is one of the small and household purpose shovels, mainly used by those who have a passion for gardening. Due to its small size, it will get fitted easily in the toolbox, and you can easily take out the grass and the grass beds from it.
- Create Clean Borders Around Beds And Walkways
- Arched Blade Design
- Remove Sod With Ease
- No Assembly Required
These shovels have a sleek design that helps you cut out the roots from the bottom and work over précised grass with it. The best part about these shovels is that if you want to plant a new tree, it will damage a particular area’s root system, which means the other reason would be protected. You can easily plant different trees of different species.
4. Square Digger
As the name suggests, it is one of those shovel types, which is mainly used for digging purposes. Due to its bent design, it can be easily used to take up the materials you are digging from the ground. You can also call it a partner of flat shovels as both shovels have the same design structure because the purpose of both the shovels is to collect as much material as they can.
According to some people, digging is one of the difficult tasks because it requires massive force. Still, if you have a pointed tip, this process would become very much easy as the pointed top can effortlessly fierce the loose soil and quickly cut down all the ready growing inside the soil.
5. Pointed Digger
This is one of those types of shovel used for breaking out the small rocks that would ruin your garden and does not allow the small plants to grow. It’s hard to carry design, which provides it extreme power to break down the rocks and hard materials.
- Serrated edges and pointed tip
- Etched measurements from 1" to 4"
- Made in Wales
- Brand name: Bosmere
A shovel is a tool that is mainly used to dig out the areas and move things like mulch, dirt, and snow. Also, it has a pointed top that allows you to dig out holes in the soil, which helps you dig out the land beneath your feet.
6. Round Digger
This is one of those types of shovel used for transferring plants from one place to another. It has a round handle, which helps the user to perform the task efficiently. This shovel has a round shape at the top, which helps the shovel get inside the soft sand, usually found in the gardens.
- Serrated trowel with an inverted V-shaped cutting tip with specially designed serrated teeth to easily rip through dirt, roots, and other obstructions with ease
- Small gardening shovel at 70% the size of the original Root Slayer that is ideal for small spaces, raised beds, and campgrounds
- Small digging shovel with a blade made of powder-coated carbon steel, shaft made of resin-encased carbon steel, and non-latex grips
- Weed buster that can be used to uproot Baby's Breath, Spotted Knapweed, Ash seedlings, Dandelions, and other tough weeds
- Regularly clean your Nomad shovel to maintain the quality and performance of the blade; Lifetime manufacturer guarantee in the continental US only
According to some people, the pointed tip at the top would help the shovel reduce the force applied to dig inside the soil. According to some of the people, if you want to dig down into the ground without applying any external force, this type of shovel would be a great choice as the round handle helps you make the grip with the help. Due to the top’s pointed edge, you can easily dig down the loose soil and grow plants in it.
7. Scoop Shovel
These shovels have entirely different concepts from many other types of shovels as they have a broad top, which is used for transferring material from one place to another. Do you want to move your pea gravel? Well, it is one of the perfect tools to do so as the shape of this shovel is designed to provide a comfortable experience while moving these types of delicate plants.
- Aluminum blade is rust proof
- Thick aluminum alloy for maximum strength
- Large poly D-grip for leverage and control
- Hardwood handle for strength and durability
Moving these shovels, the aluminum shovels are considered as the most long-lasting type of shovels as they have strong build quality. Not only for the loose sand, but it is also used for moving snow from one place to another.
8. Mini, Handheld Shovels
This is one of those types of shovels that you can easily find in any garden lover’s toolbox. The main reason behind it is the small design, which helps you take it with you whenever your land needs you to dig. You can also use this shovel for digging in the flowerpots because the 4-inch small blade would help you make small holes in your flowerpots.
- PREMIUM MATERIALS: Built with high-carbon steel, this heat-treated mini folding shovel is made to last due to its rust-resistance & anti-deformation. CO-Z military portable folding shovel is perfect for digging, shoveling, sawing, chopping, and so much more
- COMPACT & VERSATILE: This ergonomically designed shovel head measures at 6.3” x 4.7” while the handle measures at 11.8” to increase your digging volume without causing you any discomfort
- THICKENED CUTTING BLADE: Thanks to the reinforced, strong blade our foldable shovel can dig into gravel with ease, a must have for backyards, private gardens, or even farmland
- EASY TO STORE & LIGHTWEIGHT: This military shovel weighs only 1.8 lbs and comes with a nylon carry case (11.8 x 6.5 in.) so you can take this on the go anywhere
- ADVENTURE OR SURVIVAL: Whether you are embarking on a wilderness adventure or preparing for an emergency situation, this folding camping shovel is a vital necessity to assist you outdoors
Along with this thing, you can also use this shovel to dig for a small weed because they do not require bigger holes. The best part about them is that you can easily purchase them from online platforms like Amazon, where you will find different products of different quality.
9. Power Shovel
Do you want a shovel that can generate massive power? A power shovel would be a great choice as it is one of those types of shovels related to a machine. This is the only reason why it is not considered the part of shovels, but if we look at these tools’ functionality, then t is quite like the shovel.
- Greenworks Lightweight And Powerfull Snow Shovels Help You Easily Move Snow Out Of Your Way.
- 12 Inch Shoveling Width And Power To Throw Snow Out Of Your Way.
- Best For For Snow Depth Up To 6"
- For peak performance, use battery that is being stored at room temperature. The snow thrower may not properly start if the battery temperature is too cold.
- If unit does not start, remove battery from snow thrower and allow it to warm indoors for 10 minutes or longer. Reinstall battery and try again
The extreme power generated by these tools helps it dig out loose soils, and in some of the cases, it is used for breaking out the snow into small pieces and throwing out the machine. Most people prefer to use this machine in massive snowblowers because it has a very lightweight structure that helps them a better experience.
10. Tree Planting Shovel
As the name suggests, it is one of those shovels mainly used to plant new trees. It is mainly preferred for planting because it has a specific design type, which is mainly designed for the plantation of trees.
- Serrated shovel designed for reducing stress on your hands and wrist
- Digging shovel with V-shaped cutting tip to easily rip roots and dirt
- Garden digging shovel with durable powder-coated carbon steel tip
- Sturdy tip suitable for any garden task- not meant for prying
- Lifetime manufacturer (continental US only)
Its bent blade can easily dig down inside the ground, which means you can dig down at the bottom of your pot, which provides strong base protection to your tree. Also, the blade’s sharpness would help it cut out all the roots that are previously grew inside the ground.