Many people get confused between shovels and spades, and for clearing their doubts, we have explained here about some of the different types of shovels available in the market.
But before moving forward with the types of shovels, firstly, we must understand about shovels. Some of the different parts collectively create a shovel-like grip, which is one of the major parts as it would help the user make a solid grip over the shovel so that the user can dig out the sand from the garden.
The second thing is a handle, which is mainly used for connecting the grip with the upper blade, and this thing is as important as the grip because if it is not of good quality, then there would be a lot of problems caused due to it.
The last part is the blade, which is the central part of the shovel as it is one of those parts due to which the whole mechanism works. Taking about some of the different types of shovels used for a different purpose, here we have mentioned some of them:
Types of Shovels – Explained
1. Trench Shovels
This is one of those shovels primarily used by professional gardeners. These shovels can generate massive power because the arms and torso generate the power generated over these shovels.
This shovel would help you in digging out the sand or mud from the outlines of your garden. Due to the long handle, you can easily dig out the soil from the ground without putting down your legs inside the muddy outlines.
- OCCASIONS:Ideal for camping,hiking,backpacking,fishing,hunting,gardening outdoor activities.
- MULTI-FUNCTIONAL:Digging,sawing,cutting,hammering,shoveling.Can be used either straight or at a...
- PORTABLE:Folds,small size,foldable with a carrying pouch.Head size is 8.2"/21cm.Total length...
- PREMIUM MATERIAL:50# High-Carbon steel body and comfortable triangular handle are toughness.
- GANURANTEEDG: REDCAMP offers a 365-day limited manufacturer warranty. If you're not satisfied for...
But at the same time, the quality of the shovel would become even more critical because, in some of the cases, it is found that due to high pressure applied on the shovel, the handle would get bent shovel becomes useless.
2. Flat Shovels
Do you want to move inert material from one place to another? Well, flat shovels would help you do so, as they are flat from the top, which helps them collect a lot of materials. The flat shovel also has bends at the surface, which helps you collect the material right from the bottom, which helps you get perfect cleaning of mud or any other sluggish material.
- TABOR TOOLS J212 STRAIGHT EDGE DIGGING SHOVEL has a straight-edge blade with a slightly rounded end,...
- TEMPERED STEELHEAD: Durable heat-treated head with rust-resistant powder-coated paint. A sturdy...
- STRONG, LIGHTWEIGHT FIBERGLASS HANDLE: The handle is constructed of fiberglass for increased...
- COMFORTABLE NON-SLIP D-GRIP: The non-slip D-handle provides comfort and good grip, and gives enough...
- ORDER WITH CONFIDENCE. We at TABOR TOOLS stand behind our products. Please don’t hesitate to...
Not only for the lightweight material, but these shovels are also used for collecting small rocks present in the soil. However, if you want to take the benefit of grabbing out the rocks from the soil, then you need to purchase a high-quality shovel, which is quite expensive in comparison to the other shovels.
3. Edging Shovels
This is one of the small and household purpose shovels, mainly used by those who have a passion for gardening. Due to its small size, it will get fitted easily in the toolbox, and you can easily take out the grass and the grass beds from it.
- LANDSCAPING EDGER: Cuts trenches and creates clean, finished lawn edges along driveways, lawns and...
- VERSATILE EDGER: Blade design cuts straight or curved edges
- SERRATED BLADE: Serrated steel blade easily cuts through grass and earth; Durable serrated 15-gauge...
- CONVIENENT FOOTPLATE: Fashioned with a footplate for comfort, control and consistency
- BLADE DIMENSIONS: 8-7/8 in. W x 4-1/2 in. H
These shovels have a sleek design that helps you cut out the roots from the bottom and work over précised grass with it. The best part about these shovels is that if you want to plant a new tree, it will damage a particular area’s root system, which means the other reason would be protected. You can easily plant different trees of different species.
4. Square Digger
As the name suggests, it is one of those shovel types, which is mainly used for digging purposes. Due to its bent design, it can be easily used to take up the materials you are digging from the ground. You can also call it a partner of flat shovels as both shovels have the same design structure because the purpose of both the shovels is to collect as much material as they can.
According to some people, digging is one of the difficult tasks because it requires massive force. Still, if you have a pointed tip, this process would become very much easy as the pointed top can effortlessly fierce the loose soil and quickly cut down all the ready growing inside the soil.
5. Pointed Digger
This is one of those types of shovel used for breaking out the small rocks that would ruin your garden and does not allow the small plants to grow. It’s hard to carry design, which provides it extreme power to break down the rocks and hard materials.
- 6 TOOLS IN ONE – Great for planting, cutting roots, scraping, cultivating, weeding, and scooping....
- BUILT TO LAST – Made from sturdy and long lasting stainless steel to give you a rust-proof, long...
- EXTRA LARGE SCOOP – Our scoop can hold double the amount of soil as regular scoops and is etched...
- ERGONOMIC SOFT GRIP HANDLE – Our soft grip handle provides a firm, comfortable grip for all hand...
- Bosmere is a family owned business that has been bringing you fine British garden products for over...
A shovel is a tool that is mainly used to dig out the areas and move things like mulch, dirt, and snow. Also, it has a pointed top that allows you to dig out holes in the soil, which helps you dig out the land beneath your feet.
6. Round Digger
This is one of those types of shovel used for transferring plants from one place to another. It has a round handle, which helps the user to perform the task efficiently. This shovel has a round shape at the top, which helps the shovel get inside the soft sand, usually found in the gardens.
- Powder-coated carbon steel shaft sports a durable, ergonomic polypropylene grip
- The "Inverted V" cutting blade and root-cutting ripsaw teeth eliminate the need for saws, hatchets,...
- Slices through sod and small roots with exceptional ease
- Patented, ergonomic paddle-handle grip provides optimal leverage while reducing hand and wrist...
- Lifetime Guarantee (Continental US Only)
According to some people, the pointed tip at the top would help the shovel reduce the force applied to dig inside the soil. According to some of the people, if you want to dig down into the ground without applying any external force, this type of shovel would be a great choice as the round handle helps you make the grip with the help. Due to the top’s pointed edge, you can easily dig down the loose soil and grow plants in it.
7. Scoop Shovel
These shovels have entirely different concepts from many other types of shovels as they have a broad top, which is used for transferring material from one place to another. Do you want to move your pea gravel? Well, it is one of the perfect tools to do so as the shape of this shovel is designed to provide a comfortable experience while moving these types of delicate plants.
- Aluminum blade is rust proof
- Thick aluminum alloy for maximum strength
- Large poly D-grip for leverage and control
- Hardwood handle for strength and durability
Moving these shovels, the aluminum shovels are considered as the most long-lasting type of shovels as they have strong build quality. Not only for the loose sand, but it is also used for moving snow from one place to another.
8. Mini, Handheld Shovels
This is one of those types of shovels that you can easily find in any garden lover’s toolbox. The main reason behind it is the small design, which helps you take it with you whenever your land needs you to dig. You can also use this shovel for digging in the flowerpots because the 4-inch small blade would help you make small holes in your flowerpots.
- PREMIUM MATERIALS: Carefully constructed with high-carbon steel, this heat-treated mini folding camp...
- COMPACT & VERSATILE: This ergonomically designed handle measures 11.8” while the 6.3” x 4.7”...
- THICKENED CUTTING BLADE: Thanks to the reinforced blade our foldable rescue shovel can dig into...
- LIGHTWEIGHT & EASY TO STORE: This military shovel weighs only 28 oz and comes with a nylon carry...
- ADVENTURE+SURVIVAL SHOVEL: Whether you are backpacking on a wilderness adventure or preparing for an...
Along with this thing, you can also use this shovel to dig for a small weed because they do not require bigger holes. The best part about them is that you can easily purchase them from online platforms like Amazon, where you will find different products of different quality.
9. Power Shovel
Do you want a shovel that can generate massive power? A power shovel would be a great choice as it is one of those types of shovels related to a machine. This is the only reason why it is not considered the part of shovels, but if we look at these tools’ functionality, then t is quite like the shovel.
- Greenworks Lightweight And Powerfull Snow Shovels Help You Easily Move Snow Out Of Your Way.
- 12 Inch Shoveling Width And Power To Throw Snow Out Of Your Way.
- Best For Snow Depth Up To 6"
- For peak performance, use battery that is being stored at room temperature. The snow thrower may not...
- If unit does not start, remove battery from snow thrower and allow it to warm indoors for 10 minutes...
The extreme power generated by these tools helps it dig out loose soils, and in some of the cases, it is used for breaking out the snow into small pieces and throwing out the machine. Most people prefer to use this machine in massive snowblowers because it has a very lightweight structure that helps them a better experience.
10. Tree Planting Shovel
As the name suggests, it is one of those shovels mainly used to plant new trees. It is mainly preferred for planting because it has a specific design type, which is mainly designed for the plantation of trees.
- Serrated shovel designed for reducing stress on your hands and wrist
- Digging shovel with V-shaped cutting tip to easily rip roots and dirt
- Garden digging shovel with durable powder-coated carbon steel tip
- Sturdy tip suitable for any garden task- not meant for prying
- Lifetime manufacturer warranty (continental US only)
Its bent blade can easily dig down inside the ground, which means you can dig down at the bottom of your pot, which provides strong base protection to your tree. Also, the blade’s sharpness would help it cut out all the roots that are previously grew inside the ground.