Lawnmowers can be helpful, especially when you have an uneven and messy lawn with long grasses to get rid of. You must have a lawnmower if you want a healthy and beautiful lawn and are very particular about how it looks every month.
If you are a proud owner of a lawn who takes pride in showing his lawn to others, then you must be in possession or are looking to buy a lawnmower. And if that is so then, you have come to the right place.
Lawnmowers are of different varieties and can be segregated into many categories due to their features, performance, power, etc. Today we will be talking exclusively about just one kind of lawnmower and all the variants available in that variety, along with some of the most popular lawn mowers in this category that you can purchase.
Today we will be talking about walking behind lawnmowers. Walk-behind mowers are typical lawnmowers that have been used for an extended period. They are probably the oldest variety of lawnmowers humanity has been using.
Walk-behind mowers are machines with a bar handle attached at the back, which you can easily hold and navigate the mower using. They are preferred a lot by people for household uses and in commercial uses.
- 1 The Best Walk-Behind Mowers
- 2 Walk-Behind Mowers V/s Ride-On Mowers
- 3 Why Prefer Walk-Behind Mowers Override-On Mowers?
- 4 Varieties of Walk-Behind Mowers
- 5 Conclusion
The Best Walk-Behind Mowers
Let us see some of the best walks behind lawn mowers that you may want to consider while thinking of purchasing one.
1. Fiskars Stay Sharp Max Reel Mower
This walk-behind lawn mower is a reel variant, i.e., it is not run by an engine. This makes it eco-friendly. It is handy for a reel mower. It is easily operated, functions well, and is not at all costly. This makes it cost-effective. It can be an excellent selection if you are looking for a mower to do simple household lawn mowing.
- Make lawn mowing enjoyable with an advanced reel mower that’s 60% easier to push than other reel...
- InertiaDrive reel is designed for all grass types, delivering twice the cutting power to glide...
- New reversible grass chute can be positioned to direct clippings forward, away from your feet, or...
- StaySharp cutting system cuts without unwanted contact, greatly reducing wear for long-lasting...
- Inset wheels allow the blades to extend across the mower’s full width, eliminating uncut strips...
Anyways, because they are reel mowers, they have limitations. They can only be adjusted to trim grasses of length from 1 inch to 4 inches. If the grass on your lawn is 6 inches or above, you will not be able to get rid of it using this mower.
2. Troy Bilt 21 Inches 160 cc Honda Mower
This rugged land mower is perfect for your lawn with giant grasses and weeds and commercial purposes. Its power makes it a heavy-duty machine. It is close to 70 pounds in weight, which makes it a massive beast.
Its 160-cc engine runs on gas. Honda’s engine makes it even more durable and reliable. This machine helps you adjust the size from 6 options to suit the grass size you are cutting. Its rear wheels are 11 inches high, making them easily navigable.
- 21-inch diameter steel cutting deck with TriAction Cutting System and side discharge, mulch, or rear...
- 11-inch rear wheels provide improved mobility on hills, inclines and in rougher terrain
- 1.9-bushel rear bag collects grass clippings for easy clean up or composting
- Side discharge chute comes with built-in clip to attach to handle when not in use
- Mulch kit included to help put nutrients back into soil for a healthier lawn
This machine has a chipping bag that stores all the grass clippings after they are cut. This saves you from the trouble of cleaning your lawn off the extra grass clippings and will facilitate you in throwing them in one place.
3. Craftsman M110 140cc 21 Inches
Craftsman also manufactures a gas-powered walk-behind lawnmower, but it is more attractive than any of its counterparts in the market. The reason being, that it offers the best of both worlds, i.e., benefits of a gas mower in terms of power and durability and benefits of an electric mower in terms of less noise and efficiency.
The size of this mower can be adjusted between 1.25 inches and 3.75 inches. That is not a lot but enough for domestic uses.
It also has a bag attached to it, which enables it to collect all the grass clippings. It comes with a 140-cc engine by Briggs and Stratton, which guarantees durability.
4. Ryobi RY40180 40V Brushless Lithium-ion Cordless Electric Mower Kit
This electric-powered walk behind mower can give gas-powered lawnmowers a run for their money.
They are eco-friendly and do not contribute to noise pollution. These are top of Ryobi’s line offerings, which come with a 40V battery that can easily remove your stress regarding mowing the lawn.
- Grounds & Pool Supplies/Outdoor Power Equipment
- Made in: United States
- Dimensions: 19.88 X 40.748 X 22.677
However, they can only run for 38 minutes continuously when fully charged. This makes it less useful for commercial uses. They can also be more expensive than regular gas-powered lawnmowers.
They also have a bag attached that facilitates collecting all the grass clippings and saving a lot of time collecting the grass clippings spread over the lawn after a good trim.
Walk-Behind Mowers V/s Ride-On Mowers
The walk-behind mowers are entirely different from the newer ride-on mowers. These ride-on mowers are used a lot for commercial purposes to mow significant land areas with an operator sitting over it and operating it just like a car. They are also popularly known as tractor mowers because of the way they are operated.
Why Prefer Walk-Behind Mowers Override-On Mowers?
At first sight, the ride-on mowers seem fascinating and better than a walk-behind mower, but it is hardly the case. The ride-on mowers are better than walk-behind mowers in terms of area covered and power, but it indeed has many drawbacks and limitations that are overcome by a walk-behind lawnmower.
- For one, ride-on lawnmowers are very expensive. This is a big problem. Many people who get fascinated by just looking at the ride-on mower end up buying it for a considerable price and then regret their decision of doing so because they feel that the price wasn’t worth the deal of work it does.
- The second reason is that ride-on mowers are not suitable for small areas of land. So if you want to do some lawn work for your house, you don’t want to waste your money buying a ride-on mower that will not work correctly in a small plot of land, obviously unless you have a house attached with a vast lawn.
- So, for this reason, the ride-on mowers suit the commercial category more, but on the other hand, walk-behind mowers for private use and commercial use. This makes it a better pick.
- The third reason is that walking behind mowers can easily do the job in places where it isn’t easy to navigate a ride-on mower, like in the nooks and corners of your lawn.
- You can also easily see which part is left to mow while using a walk behind the mower, but the same is not the case with ride-on mowers.
Because of all these above reasons, one prefers to buy a walk-behind mower over its much more expensive counterpart, i.e., ride-on mowers.
Varieties of Walk-Behind Mowers
There are different walk-behind mowers that you will have to choose from if you are planning to buy a walk-behind mower. All these varieties have been mentioned below
Gas-Powered Walk-Behind Mowers
These mowers have been used in most parts of the world most of the time. They are generally preferred for their powerful performance. Gas-powered mowers come with a potent engine, generally above 150cc. They are instrumental and have a good warranty cover.
The problem with them is that they run on oil, and we must incur the costs of oil every single time we want to use it. The more powerful the engine will be, the more oil it will drink. One more problem is that it may need a lot of maintenance costs.
Electric Walk-Behind Mowers
Electric walk-behind mowers have become very popular in the last decade. They have emerged as a healthier substitute for the regular gas-powered counterpart. They come with a lot of benefits.
They are suitable for the environment as they do not contribute to either noise pollution or air pollution. They have all the benefits of a gas-powered mower without any limitations of the same.
Its limitations are its high cost and its short run time. It does not support a run time of more than an hour, and the battery runs down. This is because the battery must power mechanical movement, which requires more power.
Mechanical Non-Engine Walk-Behind Mower
These mowers are neither powered by gas nor by electricity and not by water. It is powered by your muscular strength and works in a simple mechanism. It does not have an engine.
This makes it less costly and more environmentally friendly. You can work with them for as long as you want as they will not run out of power until you do.
They are not that effective as compared to an engine variant. They are unable to cut tall grasses and weeds. This makes it only limited to non-commercial uses.
These are some of the best walks behind mowers you should go for if you are looking to buy a walk-behind mower.
I think it is clear why one should go for a walk behind a mower instead of a ride-on mower when looking to cover only a small area.
However, if you wish to mow an acre area than an acre, you would not want to buy a walk-behind mower but go for the more expensive ride-on mower.
Make sure you purchase the right mower and at the right price after comparing it to different vendors.