If you have recently bought a property or have an existing property, or are interested in getting one, then you surely must know whether you can build a fence around your property. The simple answer would be a yes.
The decision is completely yours. You would require a fence for multiple reasons, and that would decide how you should construct one. In this article, we will guide you through the procedure of building a fence around a house.
- 1 Reasons To Build a Fence Around Your Entire Property
- 2 Material of Construction for Building a Fence
- 3 Inquire about Permissions, Permits, Rules & Codes to be followed before building a Fence.
- 4 A Guide on How You Should Not Offend your Neighbor.
- 5 Some Other Tips on Planning to Build a Fence Around Your Property
- 6 Takeaway
Reasons To Build a Fence Around Your Entire Property
Ask yourself, why you should build a fence around the property. Do you need a fence without digging post holes? Or a fence that is for a mere property marking purpose. The reason will not only determine the need for the fence but also the type you need to build around your property. Usually, people who own property build a fence for privacy from their neighbors, especially if they are pesky.
Also, people with pets and children build a fence, obviously for safety reasons. Now, if it is just about children or pets, then you can get a smaller fence installed. But, if it is about privacy, then you need to build a fence that is tall enough so that your neighbors cannot peek through. A few of you may also want to have the fence a bit decorative & attractive. Once you can pinpoint the need, choose the fence accordingly.
Material of Construction for Building a Fence
Wood is a go-to material for building a fence. But, remember that if you are building a wooden fence, then you need take regular care of it. To avoid the rotting of wood, you need to stain it regularly. Also, you need to paint the wood, so that incurs the cost. Your best bet for wooden fences would be bamboo.
Though at times they can be a bit difficult to procure, even costlier than wood. Looking at the positives, they sure are aesthetically pleasing & incur negligible maintenance costs. You can consider other materials like vinyl, steel, or even aluminum!
To save money, you can use different construction materials for building a fence. Maybe the backyard fence can be made using vinyl, and in the front part, you can install a wooden fence. You can accordingly manage the installation & maintenance costs. Also, this mix-match of different fences can look aesthetically pleasing.
Inquire about Permissions, Permits, Rules & Codes to be followed before building a Fence.
Every other locality, town, and city has a different set of rules & codes regarding fences. A few of them specify that you need to apply for a permit before building a fence. You also need to ensure that the fence is way behind any public property, and doesn’t create any disturbance to others. There can a code in certain areas about the color & aesthetics. So, you need to find out each one of them and follow accordingly.
A Guide on How You Should Not Offend your Neighbor.
Building a fence on the neighbor’s property is the last mistake you would want to do. Check your property survey document for the exact & accurate markings of your property. Be straightforward with your neighbors about the fencing. If required, you can also make an agreement in writing with your neighbors (though not necessary). It is a very common practice & etiquette that the aesthetically pleasing & attractive side of the fence faces towards the neighbors.
Some Other Tips on Planning to Build a Fence Around Your Property
- Installation of fences is not as easy it seems to be, you need to hire a professional (or a group of professionals) to plan & build one for you. Approach your local licensed contractors, firms, or professionals. Look at their previous fence installations. Ask them to provide quotations based on your requirements. Try to get at least five such quotations and choose the best amongst them.
- Ensure that there is ample area left vacant for an entrance & exit. The space should be large enough for the entry & exit of any large object or item. Usually, the pathway to the entrance & the exit is indicated decoratively.
- Try to make the fence look aesthetically pleasing. Customize the fence according to your preferences. This may incur an additional cost, but it will surely be worth it!
- Incorporate nature along with your fence. Plant a few flowering & decorative plants. You can even buy a few attractive potted plants and place them alongside your fence.
Once you pinpoint the reason for the fence, you can start planning about fencing around your entire house. Check out the rules & permits required for the installation of a fence in your area, and approach professionals for quotations.
Take necessary steps to not pick a fight with your neighbor. Fence installation is the best when it happens peacefully, and according to your preferences. Keep the cost in check & customize accordingly.