Manufactured & Mobile Homes

Does A Mobile Home Have A Good Resale Value?

Does A Mobile Home Have A Good Resale Value
Scenic view of modern trailer of caravan park in summer.

A mobile home is a pre-built structure developed in a factory over a steel chassis and then transported to the site directly. Mobile homes have come a long way from the chronological age and are now built to much higher standards than they once were, but their value is still not excellent. Their resale value is not as good as a modern stick-built home, and they don’t tend to last for a long time. Mobile homes are properties that are built off-site instead of on the site.

Advantages of mobile homes

  • Mobile homes take less time to build than traditional stick-built homes.
  • The taxes you pay on mobile homes are the same as stick-built houses.
  • Home loans for mobile homes are usually the same as site-built homes. Home insurance for mobile homes is the same as site-built homes.
  • A mobile home is one of many other homes being built by the manufacturer in a particular factory, which means that supplies are usually abundant to quickly get the job done.
  • A mobile home can be 20% cheaper than a traditional home and even more affordable if you are transporting your home in a location that is hard to get to or far from major manufacturing centers.

Every home is a large investment for buyers, be it a traditional stick-built home or a manufactured-mobile home. Appreciation and depreciation on a home value is always a real concern for any prospective buyer.

If you come across an older mobile home and plan to buy it, then the cost will vary slightly. It is a heavy and expensive proposition to move a manufactured home. So if resale value is vital to you as compared to the money you have invested in the property, it is almost always better to find a home already set up and in place.

In recent years, home prices have soared at a faster clip for manufactured, or mobile, homes than they have for traditional properties.

Mobile houses are widely popular in parts of the country where the housing crisis recovery has been less robust.

Mobile homes generally aren’t highly concentrated in housing markets that have notably recouped from the crisis; it creates the impression that these values don’t appreciate the same rate as traditional homes. In reality, this is more of a reflection of where the houses are located than the types of homes. For the price value, what matters is the location of the province. For example, Florida, Alabama, and Carolina have higher rates of these houses.

Mobile homes are great for temporary or semi-permanent accommodation. They aren’t made of a resilient material that gives them a brief amount of time to survive. It is also advised that because of its cheap price people should opt for buying new houses than the older ones.

Used up mobile homes aren’t brought in a higher rate; you might not get your value for money. Also, the transportation cost is expensive, so people generally avoid that.

The disadvantage of buying a mobile home is that once it leaves the factory, the value quickly depreciates; on the other hand, the value of a traditional home appreciates quickly with time because the owner also owns the land beneath the house.

The location of a home, whether stick-built or manufactured, the only factor that determines its resale value is its location. If the houses in your area appreciate, yours should as well, and at the same speed. If similar homes in your area appreciate at 10 percent annually, yours will also probably increase at the same rate.

Factors that matter in the resale value of mobile homes

  1. Location- For instance, if you reside in an area where 90% of people have mobile homes, then the chances of appreciating value increases. Even if it increases by 10%, your home value will also soar up to a 10% rate.
  1. Time and age matter – Age matters for mobile homes because old mobile homes might lack modern amenities, negatively impacting their resale value. It doesn’t matter if you have a double wide or single wide current home, only the condition matters, which affects the resale value.
  1. Maintenance- Poorly maintained houses would suffer a loss. If your home requires repairing frequently or the bottom board of your house is damaged due to bulges, rodents, or moisture, then it will affect your value. The cost to fix the damage may also prevent buyers from making offers unless you agree to lower your sale price. Maximum buyers who see that the house is poorly maintained bypass those houses and never think of buying them.
  1. Price increase- If you have maintained your mobile home correctly and healthily, then the price will increase; you will at the least pull a 15% benefit. Maintaining your mobile home along with the lot will also increase its curb appeal. Houses with good curb appeal tend to attract a significant number of prospective homebuyers.
  1. Foundation- Mobile homeowners don’t own the underlying land, but if by some chances you have brought the ground beneath your mobile home, then you are up for a good deal. Affix your mobile home in the land or leave it barren; the buyer will pay you a significant sum to buy both the land and the mobile home. Now the home’s price might depreciate if it is not well maintained, but if it is adequately maintained, you can pull off advantage of almost 25-30% as a resale value.

These dates back to a historic origin where travelers from around the world needed to settle down. They resorted to this option. The bottom board keeps out water and rodents from the underside to avoid getting damaged. It is the home’s main line of defense against the dangers of foundation moisture to the residence.

Over the years, though, mobile homes have gained a slightly unfair reputation for gradually losing their value. However, depending on several important factors, a mobile home’s value or resale price may rise over time. Mobile homes have been popular with many Americans for decades, partly owing to their affordable prices. Mobile homes can sometimes cost much less than traditional site-built homes of similar square footage and appointments.

One reason mobile homes devalue in price is that they are personal property but not real land property. “Real property” is a land whose owner has the land permanently under their name. Anything that can be removed without so much of an injury to the land is not real property.

Mobile homes are not easy to resale if they are located in a mobile home park due to their relative immobility after being set up. Unless you want to retain the home, finding a buyer can be challenging. The move can be costly and cost as much as several thousand dollars; expensive transportation is another main problem.

Occupancy rates are almost always 100%. Because they command $600/month and up, they maintain their value because the owner wouldn’t consider selling one for any reasonable price as long as they feel they can continue to profit in the rental.

A mobile home is a very cheap accommodation, so after a few years, you will see the bottom getting shredded like cheese, and also, the base is inflated due to insulation.

Why does the bottom board start damaging?

The bottom boards of mobile homes often get damaged — another factor that would impact the resale price of these homes enormously. The damages are often done by leakages such as plumbing leakage, which can eventually cause dampness and holes. If that is the case with your mobile home, then the selling prospects don’t look good.

A mobile home is manufactured at a factory and then transported to a dealer or a purchaser’s preferred location. Traditional or stick-built homes are made on-site and permanently attached to their foundations. In many cases, the mobile home’s quality is high and sometimes even better than traditional houses. One way to look at the quality of manufactured homes versus stick-built homes is to compare their resale values. This way is often considered while deciding the resale price.

If you were to buy a resale mobile home for market value, then there is an excellent chance that it will increase in value over time, very similar to a stick-built home.


The myth that mobile homes don’t have a good value needs to be busted because buying and selling mobile homes depends on location, maintenance, age, and price. Places where the housing crisis is widespread often have a considerable upliftment to purchase mobile homes. Thus, mobile homes are now growing in demand for people worldwide, and you must consider getting one for yourself today.

Mia Smith
Mia Smith, a journalist with over 8 years of experience, is an expert in the field of manufactured and mobile homes. Graduating with a BA in Architecture, she has blended her education with her passion for innovative housing solutions. Mia joined us in 2021, bringing a wealth of knowledge from her previous role as an editor at a renowned home lifestyle magazine. Her expertise extends beyond journalism, as she has hands-on experience in designing and remodeling mobile homes.

DIY Outdoor Halloween Decorations: Cute, Weird, and Spooky

Previous article

Best Charcoal Briquettes for Grilling and Smoking [Buying Guide]

Next article

You may also like


Leave a reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *