At long last, winter has officially come to an end, and spring has come around to bring the sun, warmth, and fresh spring air. This combination of factors brings a renewed sense of energy to people, signifying a fresh start. With this in mind, it’s no wonder that spring cleaning is such a popular annual tradition!
Spring cleaning after a long winter can be a great way to remove the clutter, let go of the past, and allow for more room in your home for your growth. Having a clean, fresh, and well-staged home can also increase its value on re-sale, especially when you work with an experienced agent, like the realtors at Harvey Kalles Real Estate brokers in Toronto.
But spring cleaning can be a slightly overwhelming process, and if you don’t have a plan in motion, it won’t be long before you find yourself frustrated surrounded by an avalanche of clutter that finds itself constantly relocated between surfaces in your home.
Below are some essential spring-cleaning lists to help keep you on track and make the task all the more manageable.
Why Spring-Cleaning Lists Help
Spring cleaning and giving your home a deep cleaning is important for keeping your home fresh, organized, and open, which in turn makes your daily life less stressful.
Before going in without a plan, making a checklist can help you meticulously tick each item off your list in order of your choosing, allowing you to focus on one task at a time rather than considering the entire project at once. Here are some good examples of lists to keep!
Universal Checklist for All Rooms
- Dust off any ceiling light fixtures, vents, and restringing wind chimes
- Wipe down window blinds, tracks, and sills—vacuum down any curtains
- Wipe scuffs and grime off of any baseboards and dust corners of rooms for dust and spiderwebs
- Sterilize all knobs, handles, and switches in the room
- Check all smoke detectors or extinguishers
Kitchen Spring Cleaning Checklist
- Wipe down the inside of your microwave
- Descale your coffee maker and kettle
- Clean inside of the oven
- Wipe down all shelves and drawers of the refrigerator
- If possible, vacuum behind the fridge, a common place for dust buildup!
- Empty tray from toaster
- Wipe out shelves of all pantries and cupboards
- Sanitize sink and wipe around edges/sink guard for potential mould buildup
Bedroom Spring Cleaning Checklist
- Rotate and flip the mattress
- Vacuum under bedframe (if raised)
- Empty closet and organize all clothes and drawers, taking note to donate or discard any clothing you no longer wish to keep
- Wash (or replace) all pillows
- For children’s rooms, disinfect and wash all toys from the outdoor storage to help prevent the buildup of germs
Bathroom Spring Cleaning Checklist
- Dispose of any expired medications, skincare, or toiletries
- Organize all cabinets and drawers
- Wash shower curtain
- Scrub toilet down thoroughly, including around the floor of its base
- Descale showerheads and bathtub spouts
- Wipe down shower walls and drains for possible mildew buildup
Exterior Home Checklist
- Pressure wash surfaces such as siding of house, decks, and patio furniture
- Clean out garbage bins
- Remove screens from all windows and wash them.
- Organize garage
These are just some of the many options for your spring-cleaning checklist, happy cleaning!