The technology boom has had a profound impact on society at a macro and micro level. Advances in technology have changed how people live, work, and play. The Internet, smartphones, social networks have all played a role in the way people communicate with one another.
Not surprisingly, these advancements have also affected how people move from one place to another. Technology and services that make planning and organization easier have made relocation a less stressful process.
Moving is a complicated process. There are a few services, however, that can help make your next move easier:
Nowadays, car shipping companies offer a variety of services that make it easier to transport vehicles from one place to another. For example, these companies can coordinate pickup and delivery times, estimate the cost of shipping your car, and handle the necessary paperwork for customs clearance, if needed.
There are several online services that help you hire professional packing and moving services. These sites allow you to compare prices and reviews of companies in your area. They also offer tips and advice on how to prepare for your move.
Some moving companies have done-for-you packages. For example, the service will pack your belongings for you. In some cases, the price of the package includes a one-time use truck and three hours of labor. You can even find unpacking services where professionals will unbox your belongings at your new home and put them away in the right rooms.
If you are planning a move, here are some helpful apps and tools for your smartphone that can help you stay organized:
- Google Keep. Keep is a free app that lets you capture your thoughts, to-do lists, and moments with photo collages. It’s available on mobile and desktop for both Android and iOS users.
- Evernote. Evernote also offers a free app for both Android and iOS users. The note-taking service includes most of the features you’d expect, such as text, voice, and photo notes. Evernote also makes it easy to create lists and reminders; you can even use the app to scan all your essential documents and save them as searchable PDFs.
- Moved. The Moved app takes planning your relocation to the next level. Based on your needs, the app puts you in touch with a personal moving assistant. These pros help you get organized, handle the logistics of your move, and keep track of all the details. Unfortunately, the app is only available for download on iOS. Android users can still use the web-based version.
- Sortly. If you want to keep up with the tasks related to your move, the Sortly app is for you. It’s designed to help users get organized and create a visual inventory of their belongings. You can then categorize each item by box, room, or individual item. The app is available for both Android and iOS users.
- OfferUp. While you’re sorting belongings, you may come across items that you no longer need or items you acquired during your move, OfferUp can help. This free app helps you buy and sell secondhand items, both locally and nationwide. It’s very similar to the wildly popular Craigslist classifieds service.
With so many moving services and technology to choose from, keeping track of everything you need to do before, during, and after your move can be difficult. Here are some tips to help you stay organized.
Write down the date of your move and break your packing and unpacking schedule into manageable tasks. You can even use sticky notes or colorful calendars to help you stay on top of everything.
List down your tasks, no matter how small, to stay on track. Always keep the moving checklist list visible by pinning it to the fridge or tacking it on your favorite productivity app. Most apps, like Asana and ClickUp, have templates designed to help with a relocation project.
When you’re ready to begin packing, use color-coded labels to keep your boxes organized. Assign each label to an area in your house or bedroom. For example, you can use blue labels for the living room, red for your bedroom, and yellow for the kitchen.
Most moving companies require you to submit a complete inventory of your belongings. It might seem tedious, but it’s a necessary step to ensure that your belongings are not lost or damaged during the moving process. Start this process as early as possible, so you have enough time to create an inventory that’s accurate.
This trick is helpful when you’re ready to unpack. Assign a color to each room in your house and use that color for the corresponding boxes. For example, you can give the bedroom boxes a blue label sticker and place them in that room.
When you’re ready to begin packing, make sure to label each box properly. Use masking tape and a permanent marker to avoid confusion. For example, you can write “kitchen” or “bedroom” where it can be clearly seen on the box. Make sure to include the room that each box belongs in and the floor level where the box should be placed.
Plan how you’re going to pack each room. This way, you won’t miss any detail or forget to pack an item that’s important to you. A planning app can help you create a moving checklist and schedule.
Moving can be a stressful experience. However, there are many professional services and technologies that can make the process go a little smoother. Whether you’re moving across town or across the country, you can count on professionals to handle different aspects of your move, including transporting your car and packing your belongings. Use these tips to help simplify the moving process.