You can’t get rid of danger. The danger is in everything. What if I tell you there can be danger in your house due to a type of gas that is Radon. It is a gas that comes through a reaction between uranium, air, and water. It originates from the soil and can stay even in the topsoil for a longer duration of time. Radon is a radioactive substance that is super dangerous for your health. Still, you need not worry radon removal is an easy process that can be done with professional help or do it yourself. Radon is found in the United States mostly so be careful while buying a house and if you are buying one make sure radon testing is already done.
Dangers associated with Radon
Gas is something you can neither see nor smell, and Radon is a radioactive gas that’s more hazardous. Let’s look at the dangers that this gas has on the well- being of the people.
- The major effect that radon gas has is lung cancer. Inhaling the gas for a long time damages the lungs profusely, which can become a cause for lung cancer.
- It is more harmful to the people who smoke because their lungs are already damaged. Chain smokers have to be especially extra careful.
- Gas weakens the immune system and makes you vulnerable to a huge number of illnesses. Newborn babies or children should not inhale this gas as it would prove to be more harmful to them.
- If the radon level increases, it also enters the house’s pipes, making the water contaminated and the situation can gets even worse if you have a leaking hose therefore, first change it with zero g hose or any other quality hose. Drinking this contaminated water can be riskier than inhaling Radon. You will be a major risk for stomach cancer.
- Other than these, this gas can also cause anxiety, headaches, or mood swings in some individuals.
Ways to lower radon levels in your house.
There are many technologies to limit radon levels.
- Plastic sheeting- A plastic sheet can be installed under the flooring that stops the gas from emitting and entering the house.
- Sub slab de- pressurization- This system is usually placed when your home is being constructed. It is installed below the ground level and stops the radon gas from rising above the ground level. Plastic sheeting is a part of this system, which is the best method and very effective. Radon resistant homes use this technology.
- If you buy a new house, make sure you get Radon checked; radon testing is done only with professionals’ help.
- It is advisable to get the testing done after every two years. In case you renovate your house, it is important to get radon testing done at that time.
- If you are selling your house, keep the radon testing papers ready with you. The buyer can ask for it while purchasing your house. Even if the buyer doesn’t ask for it, you should advise a radon testing or get one before you sell your house for safety purposes.
- Suppose any structural change or any change in your house’s ventilation, e.g., installing air conditioners or any other equipment that emits gas. You can be at risk for Radon, so get the testing done regularly every two years.
- Nowadays, there are Radon resistant homes that use Radon resistant technology. A gas-permeable layer or plastic sheeting stops or blocks the radon gas from reaching the ground level or higher levels. It is affordable and saves you valuable time.
Now you are conscious of the facts how dangerous this gas can get. If you find Radon in your house, get rid of it immediately. It is always suggested to get radon testing done, especially if you are purchasing a new home.