Charcoal can be used for various purposes, from making beauty products to making roads. We have two similar terms; one is activated charcoal, and another is charcoal.
If you are not aware of it, let us tell you both the terms are far different from each other. Both activated charcoal and charcoal are derivatives of carbons, but their manufacturing techniques as well as use everything is different.
In this segment, we will discuss activated charcoal and charcoal, mainly their difference. Before jumping to the difference, it is important to know about their meaning first.
Let’s start with the charcoal first!
What Is Charcoal?
Charcoal is derived from one of the carbon forms known as graphite. Whenever carbon-rich organic material is burned partially, charcoal is obtained as a residue material. If the combustion takes place in the absence of oxygen, we receive charcoal.
From the carbon-rich material we mean, wood. Charcoal is not a natural substance. We, humans, derive it from our activities.
The greatest source of charcoal is forest fires. Because of forest fire, tons of charcoal is obtained every year. Its properties make it very useful in human’s everyday life. It is used in making toothpaste, water filtration products, to treat diarrhea, and also for cooking purposes.
What Is Activated Charcoal?
Activated charcoal is another form of carbon with low porous for adsorption and other chemical reactions. The surface area of activated charcoal is very high. It is so high that even one gram of activated charcoal can accommodate the surface area of approximately 3000 meters square.
We have different forms of activated charcoal available such are powder activated charcoal, granular activated charcoal, bead activated charcoal, extruded activated charcoal, impregnated charcoal, etc. different forms have different uses. It is mainly used for the adsorption process.
Difference Between Charcoal and Activated Charcoal
Various factors differentiate between charcoal and activate charcoal. Some of the factors are given below:
- Preparation- Charcoal is obtained from the incomplete combustion of woods such s forest fire. On the other hand, activated charcoal can be derived from charcoal. It is obtained by the addition of other substances to the carbon at a high temperature.
- Heating temperature- The heat need to burn the charcoal in the absence of oxygen is less as compared to the heat needed to burn the activated charcoal. The activated charcoal is obtained only with the condition of extra heat and extra temperature.
- Properties- Charcoal has low density, porosity and is a bad conductor of heat. It also has less surface area as compared to activated charcoal. On the other hand, activated charcoal is an absorbent because of its larger surface.
- Structure- The standard structure of charcoal is less porous as compared to activated charcoal. Activated charcoal is highly porous because of the addition of extra material like the salt of chloride.
- Uses- Charcoal can make various products like toothpaste, teeth whitening products, water filtration products, and cooking food. On the other hand, activated charcoal is used to make skin products, intestinal gas treatment, and to make deodorants.
Which Type of Charcoal Is Used to Make Medicines?
Activated charcoal is used to make the medicines. Because of the large porous of the activated charcoal, it can trap the chemicals inside its surface compared to the charcoal. It helps to treat the following health problems:
- Maintain cholesterol level- Activated charcoal can help to reduce the cholesterol level. However, doctors do not suggest consuming charcoal directly from the mouth to lower cholesterol.
- To treat cholestasis- Cholestasis is a health problem that can occur during pregnancy. Studies show that taking cholesterol directly from the mouth can help a pregnant woman to treat this problem.
- Hangover- Activated charcoal can help to
What Are Charcoal Briquettes?
There is another term of charcoal known as briquettes. People often get confused about it. Charcoal briquettes are for charcoal. These are the leftover material of incomplete combustion of forest fires. Briquettes are used for cooking purposes.
These are best known for grilling purposes. During the winters, when there is grilling season all over, charcoal briquettes are used. They are burned to produce less flammable heat, which does not burn the food. Briquettes may be loaded with lots of moisture. Such kind of charcoal does not burn.
Therefore, you need to buy the best charcoal briquettes for smoking which are dry and of good quality. Check all the properties otherwise;, you are going to lose all the invested bucks.
Which Is Purest Among Charcoal and Activated Charcoal?
Activated is pure as compared to the normal charcoal. Charcoal has a little bit of wood smoke trapped in the pores. On the other hand, the same pores go through the process of flushing to become activated charcoal. The addition of chemicals also makes it pure as compared to charcoal.
These were the basic differences between charcoal and activated charcoal. Both are different in their properties to uses. Therefore, next time think about this article before using any form of charcoal. Also, do not eat the activated charcoal directly without the prescription of a doctor.
We suggest talking to your doctor before taking it for health issues. Do not try to apply the activated charcoal directly to your face. Instead, use beauty products that contain activated charcoal for better results.