FlatRate is one of the best local, interstate, and international movers in the market. With customized flat rate pricing, high customer satisfaction scores, and quality moving services, FlatRate will satisfy budget movers and high rollers alike.
– Low prices
– Quality service
– No deposit
– Plenty of shipping options
– Excellent customer reviews
– Climate-controlled storage
– Hard to navigate website
– No online quotes on their website
Based on customer data, a local move will cost $1,400 on average, while an interstate move will cost around $2,111. There’s little data on FlatRate’s international prices, but I was quoted $4,500 for a move from a Californian apartment to a house in Germany. Since FlatRate offers accurate quotes and flat rate pricing, there are no hidden fees attached to any of their services.
This makes FlatRate one of the best-priced options available in most major cities. For example, other moving companies in the New York area charge $1,915 for local and $5,087 for interstate moves on average, meaning FlatRate’s prices are 27% to 59% cheaper in this location.
FlatRate develops a customized move plan that always includes the following services:
- Packing and wrapping all furniture
- Packing of common and fragile items
- Floor, corner, and hallway protection
- All labor and travel expenses included
FlatRate Moving has specific and niche packaged services, like elite white glove movers and furniture-only delivery. Additional services are available at an extra but relatively low cost.
FlatRate includes local, long-distance, and international moving services. The company has 20 hubs in the United States and 160+ agents stationed internationally. Customers can choose their packages based on their moving needs, location, and budget:
- Local Moving
- Long-Distance Moving
- International Moving
- White Glove Services
- Commercial Movers
- Office Moving
- Military Relocation Services
- Storage Moving and Delivery
- Furniture Only Services
In addition, FlatRate provides several additional services to help your move go smoothly:
- 7-Day-a-Week Customer Service
- My FlatRate App
- Professional Referral Program
- Loyalty Club
- Financing through Affirm
- Insurance Coverage (“Valuation Coverage”)
- International Freight Forwarding
- FAQs, Packing, and Moving Checklists
- Professional Moving Crew
- Personal Move Coordinator
- Storage Services
- Packing Specialty Items
- TV & Audio Installation
- Extra Packing Supplies
- Piano Movers
- Upcycling Program
While offering a large number of services is a good thing, it’s hard to understand what’s included in each package when reading the website. Speaking to a representative is required for any clarity, which can be frustrating. With that said, FlatRate’s reps respond quickly to messages.
Although FlatRate Moving has a hard-to-navigate website and a lack of company-backed online moving quotes, I would still recommend them for your next move. Here are 5 reasons why.
FlatRate has some of the best customer reviews in the business. On Trustpilot, FlatRate Moving has almost 1000 reviews, and 72% of them are 5-stars. Overall, FlatRate has an Excellent score and a 4.6 out of 5-stars. That’s impressive, especially for a brand that’s 30 years old.
After speaking to their customer service staff and looking through hundreds of reviews, I and many others praise FlatRate Moving for their:
- 24/7 Customer Service Line: FlatRate offers 24/7 customer service, but the 24-hour part isn’t listed on their website. Keep in mind there’s no live chat feature.
- Fast and Accurate Quotes: FlatRate Moving got back to me in 30-minutes for an international move quote. Their speed was just as incredible as their accurate quotes.
- Approachable Reps: I didn’t feel awkward or embarrassed asking questions because the reps were so approachable. They were kind, direct and answered all my questions.
- Care When Handling Fragile Items: FlatRate handles your items with care. They pack each item nicely, place them in the truck gently, and deliver all boxes safely.
FlatRate movers are fast but never come across like they’re in a hurry. If something does break, FlatRate offers basic item insurance for free, which you can upgrade if you require more.
FlatRate prides itself on being US’s first and only moving company with an all-inclusive move at a guaranteed flat rate. Instead of using an hourly rate, the company uses the FlatRate Formula, which calculates a locked-in rate based on mileage, volume, and complexity.
This is even true for long-distance and international moves, which is unique, considering most moving companies charge by weight. With that said, you’ll need to contact a representative to get a quote, which will range depending on your home size, travel distance, and moving difficulty.
While other moving companies ask for a deposit, FlatRate doesn’t. It’s free to hold your spot. The full cost of the move is charged two business days before the declared move date.
Whether you need a large storage unit to protect your furniture or a small room to hold a few dozen items, FlatRate can deliver. Storage options start from $23 a month for a small 4’ x 4’ x 3’ unit to $546 a month for a 12’ x 10’ x 8’ large room. There are over 50 different sizes available.
All storage depots, regardless of size, come included with:
- 24-hour security through constant video monitoring, personnel, and keypads.
- Climate-controlled rooms if you need to store temperature-sensitive items.
- Designer rooms (that look closer to a room than a storage space)
- Barcodes and electronic verification for all items stored
- A complete photo inventory available through My FlatRate App
You can choose between long-term or short-term storage solutions in one of FlatRate’s privately owned and operated storage facilities. Units are available across FlatRate’s global network.
Besides the standard local and long-distance offerings, which are both high-quality in their own right, there are additional services customers could use. These include, but aren’t limited to:
- Storage Delivery and Moving: With their full-service pickup and delivery service, your stored items will come hand-delivered to your doorstep. They won’t be left at the port.
- Niche Relocation Services: FlatRate offers premium and niche relocation services that include white glove luxury, commercial, military, and furniture-only movers.
- International Moving: FlatRate makes international moving easy by helping customers with regulation guidance, shipping options, storage solutions, and the planning process.
- Professional Referral Club: If you’re a business interested in moving a client, you can use FlatRate’s referral club to earn money. Your client also gets complimentary delivery.
- Financing Options: Saving up for a move can be tough. Fortunately, FlatRate offers financing options with Affirm, which come in 3, 6, or 12-month interest-free options.
- Installation and Carpentry: FlatRate’s team can install your TV, hook up your WiFi, and reconfigure your audio system. They can even build custom crates for these items.
- Specialty Item Packing: Books, clothes, dishes, pots, pans, shoes, and toys aren’t included in a basic moving package, but you can add them on for a small fee.
Depending on how you structure your move, FlatRate Moving could take care of the entire process for you. There’s nothing more relaxing than a stress-free, all-in-one move at a fair price.
FlatRate has an online box store that’s equipped with all your shipping, packing, and moving needs. Appropriately named “The Box Store,” this store definitely includes boxes, but it also stocks moving kits, shield bubble rolls, cake boxes, Krazy glue, wine shippers, and much more.
The Box Store offers premium services, such as mailboxes for your personal mail, moving consultants that help plan your next move, and a comprehensive single-item shipping service. If you need a specialty box or additional packing supplies, you can easily buy more online.
One of FlatRate’s more interesting services is the UPCYCLE advantage. Instead of throwing out anything you don’t want, this program will give usable items to the Salvation Army in the US.
If you want to be a part of the UPCYCLE program, ask FlatRate for your two complimentary UPCYCLE boxes. You can fill them with clothes, books, toys, and other small household goods. After they’re filled, FlatRate will deliver them to the Salvation Army warehouse in the Bronx.
Be sure to keep an itemized list of your donations, as you can write them off for tax season!
It’s hard to find anything wrong with FlatRate Moving. While there were some complaints about items arriving broken or movers being late, these are few and far between. No moving company is perfect, but FlatRate Moving can be described as one of the best in the industry.
Overall, FlatRate is an impressive, high-quality company with a caring staff and state-of-the-art technology. Their FlatRate formula sets them apart from other companies, which typically measure moving costs by weight. With FlatRate Moving, you’ll never pay any hidden fees.
If you want a moving company that has it all and then some, I recommend FlatRate, especially if you’re moving from or to one of their hubs. The service in these areas is often top-notch.