If you’re looking for a way to improve security at your home, installing steel security fencing and gates is a great option. These days, it’s more important than ever to take steps to protect your property and loved ones.
In this article, experts from H&B Fencing & Gates explain how you can install security fencing yourself. We also provide some information on the different types of fencing and gates available so that you can choose the best option for your needs.
Types of steel security fencing and gates
Steel security fencing and gates have been around for decades. They are still a popular option because they provide many benefits. Steel fences offer strength, durability, low maintenance costs and longevity – all of which make them an excellent choice for homeowners looking to improve the security of their homes.
When installing steel security fencing and gates at your home, you need to know what type you want before starting work on the installation.
There are two main types: chain-link fences and welded wire mesh fences (also known as “weldmesh” or “chainwire”). The former is smaller strands woven together into large panels with vertical posts. The latter consists of small rectangular openings formed by interlocking wires in various shapes.
How to install steel security fencing and gates
Installing steel security fencing and gates is a big project, but if you’re up for the challenge, here are some tips to help you get started.
You will need some tools like a hacksaw, drill and screwdriver. Also, bolts with washers, self-tapping metal screws for attaching the panels to posts, and concrete mix and gravel if you’re installing new ground supports.
1. Measure the area where you want to install the fence or gate to determine the amount of fencing or width of gate you need to purchase. Use stakes and string lines to mark it out.
2. Assemble the fencing or gate according to the manufacturer’s instructions. Make sure everything is level and square before securing it in place. CAUTION! If any pipes are running through these areas, make sure not to damage those utilities while digging.
3. Install post supports and/or posts according to manufacturer. There are a few things to keep in mind when installing post supports for steel security fencing and gates:
- Make sure you use an adequate size post support for the weight of your fence or gate.
- Dig a hole that is deep enough and wide enough to accommodate the post support. Post holes at least 600 mm deep by 300 mm wide are ideal.
- Deep and stable foundations filled with soil/gravel mixture helps keep the fencing posts stable during strong winds or heavy rainstorms!
4. Fill the hole with concrete and allow it to cure before installing the fence or gate.
5. Use bolts or screws to secure the fence/gate to the post support in place.
Tips for keeping your home safe with a steel security fence or gate
A few simple measures taken during installation can make sure that you’ll have peace of mind knowing your family is safe while away at work or all day long too! Here are a few measures that should take during the planning and installation phase:
- Ensure the fence isn’t so tall it obstructs views into neighbouring properties where people could potentially break in undetected. These areas should be kept clear at all times!
- Check your local building codes before planning out any new construction projects. If fences above six feet tall are not allowed, then make sure to consider this when designing and installing your steel security fence/gate combo kit unless you are going to use the planters on the top of the fence wall.
- Measure twice cut once; always measure things twice before cutting them. It avoids surprises later down the road, like unexpected gaps caused by an improperly measured piece of metalwork being too short for what was needed. If not done accurately, it could potentially end up costing you a lot to fix.
Maintenance tips for steel security fencing and gates
Steel security fencing is low maintenance. Unless damaged by an impact, it will last for decades. Gates may require more attention and should be checked regularly for hinge wear, alignment and security.
You can clean your fencing with a soft brush or cloth and warm soapy water. Rinse well and allow to dry completely before painting if desired. Do not use abrasives as they will damage the finish. A light coat of oil every few months protects the metal from corrosion.
Can you paint steel security fencing?
Yes, you can paint steel security fencing, but it is unnecessary. The galvanizing process provides a natural rust-resistant finish. However, if you choose to paint your fence, use enamel or semi-gloss paint designed for metal surfaces.
Steel security fencing and gates provide excellent protection for your home and family. They are durable, low maintenance and affordable. Installing steel security fencing or gates at your home is a wise move! Need help? Contact H&B Fencing & Gates.