The idea of having your Terrarium will please and excite all the plant lovers out there. It breaks the idea that says planting can only be done in gardens. But that is not true anymore, all thanks to different introduced ideas related to terrariums.
Terrariums go very well as home decor and complement the entire look of your house. If you are a plant lover and are looking for some fun and exciting experiment, you should try your hands on terrariums. They are for sure not going to disappoint you.
But how do you make a terrarium? What are different terrarium ideas that one can use? Is it costly? Is it too complex? Well, relax! Neither is it too costly, nor is it too complex. Instead, it is more of fun and less of a struggle. For which you shall find your supporting answers as you go through the article.
So, without delaying it any further let us, straight dive into the topic and check for what is in store for you today!
- 1 Ways to Create an Effective Terrarium
- 2 What Are Terrariums?
- 3 What Types of Plants Can Be Used for Terrariums?
- 4 Benefits of Terrariums
- 5 How Should You Take Care of Your Terrarium?
- 6 Points to Remember.
- 7 Your Favourite Terrarium Jars
- 8 Video References
- 9 Conclusion
Ways to Create an Effective Terrarium
Before beginning to create your terrarium, make sure to have collected all the needed materials for the same. As if you have all the materials put together, it would be easier to set up your terrarium. Below is the list of materials that you will require to set your terrarium.
- Large glass jars (As per your choice)
- Small stones or pebbles
- Decorative materials
- Long spoon
- Sheet Moss.
Once you have checked with these materials, you can start your process of making your terrarium.
- Take a clean and clear glass container and add some pebbles to it. Layer it and spread it evenly in the jar.
- After that, add activated charcoal and spread them evenly in the container.
- Now add the soil to the upper layer spreading it evenly to all the sides. The soil should be placed effectively so that the plant could hold the grip and sustain itself.
- You can use the long spoon or similar kind of instruments to even the soil effectively.
- Now, keep your plants ready. Take the longest plant of all the plants available and put it in the terrarium, pushing it effectively to be held strongly by the soil.
- Similarly, add other little plants too. To settle the spread evenly, you can add more soil or moss.
- Make sure that your jar is big enough so that plants do not get stressed inside.
- Once you have successfully placed all the plants, you can add decorative materials to make your terrarium look attractive.
- Now, when everything is ready, sprinkle little water evenly throughout the jar. Make sure not to sprinkle too much water.
- And finally, your terrarium is ready. Please pick it up and keep it at a place that has an abundance of light.
- Keeping the lid of the terrarium open or closed is your personal choice. So, carry it based on choice and comfort.
These are a few steps that will help you create your terrarium effectively.
What Are Terrariums?
Terrariums are small plants stored in glass jars or vessels. The glass jars or the vessels are usually designed to have a small outlet that enables the flow of air and light in and out. But some terrariums are designed in closed and compact jars or vessels.
Terrariums are often also called mini-greenhouses. The plants that here are slow-growing plants and the one which is easily adaptable to scarce situations. These plants are usually stored in small vessels or jars, leaving an outlet space.
Terrariums do not require too much attention or maintenance as it is self-nourishing. It works like these plants, and the soil in the jar or vessel releases water vapors which get condensed due to the compact structure and then drop back to the soil. And hence their cycle of survival continues.
What Types of Plants Can Be Used for Terrariums?
Now that we know what terrarium means, the next thing to look for is what types of plants will make a perfect choice for terrariums. By all the data that we have collected so far, it seems to be very clear that we will want slow-growing plants, humidity lovers, and most importantly, a low-maintenance plant.
So, one can opt for tropical plants, ferns, and even carnivorous plants as all these plants are humidity-loving plants. Apart from that, you can also choose plants like
- Club Moss
- Nerve plant
- Air plant
- Meadow spikemoss
- Polka dot plant
- Sweet woodruff
- Inch plant
This is the list of few plants. There are many more that one can choose according to one’s comfort and liking. Also, remember, no matter what plant you choose, always make sure to choose the slow-growing ones, humidity lovers, and low-maintenance plants. This will make a perfect fit for your terrarium.
Benefits of Terrariums
Well, we might have thought by now that of what use would this small terrarium be? It is just to be placed as an artifact. But to our surprise, there is a lot more to add. Terrariums have great benefits to talk about. A few of them are mentioned below: –
- Terrariums help in growing plants that cannot grow or find it difficult to grow in dry air.
- They do not usually take too much of your space.
- It requires very little maintenance.
- You get choices in choosing how and what to decorate.
- It complements the look of the house very effectively.
- You also do not need to keep watering it now and then.
- Can boost your creativity or productivity as plants are well known for doing that.
- Great alternative if one lacks space to have their garden.
How Should You Take Care of Your Terrarium?
Although your terrariums do not demand too much care and attention, you should still be following certain points and giving it the correct care and attention needed. Here are few points of care that you can follow to take care of your terrariums effectively.
- Although your plants are slow-growing but do keep a watch on their growth. If they tend to grow to overgrow, trim them occasionally.
- If you witness the leaves of your plant turning yellow or brown, make a point to remove and separate them away. This will protect other leaves from getting diseased.
- Ensure to allow the quality flow of air in and out your terrarium.
- If you tend to use a closed terrarium, then ensure removing the lid at correct intervals to allow the flow of air.
- Keep your terrariums at a place where there is enough spread of light. Not sunlight, just random light.
These are some basic steps that will allow your terrarium to grow effectively if you follow these steps responsibly.
Points to Remember.
While you are setting up your terrarium, there are certain points that you need to keep in mind. Knowing these points beforehand will keep you well prepared and ready for any mishap further. Check out the list of points to remember mentioned below: –
- Be very particular with the plant you choose. Well, research your plant before setting it in your glass jar or vessel.
- Keep all your materials collected and stored so that you do not run out of things when making your terrarium.
- Although it does not require too much maintenance, keep looking for the care points mentioned above.
- Choosing jars or any vessel is your personal choice. So, choose the one that you are most comfortable with.
- You get a variety of options to decorate it with the things you like. So, use shells, colourful pebbles, and many more to decorate your terrarium.
Your Favourite Terrarium Jars
CYS EXCEL Glass Terrarium Container
NCYP Rectangle Cuboid Desk Clear Glass Geometric Terrarium Box
Urban Born Birdcage Large Glass Terrarium
Deco Glass Geometric DIY Terrarium
NCYP Gold Glass Geometric Terrarium
Check out the link below to understand the discussed subject in detail.
Terrariums enhance the beauty of your house, don’t they? They tend to be your mini garden spreading positivity and creativity vibes all around and not demanding too much attention.
Creating a terrarium does not seem to be a complex function as well, and you must have guessed it out while going through the steps of making effective terrariums.
We hope that this article provided you with correct guidance on understanding and making your own terrariums effortlessly. We cannot wait to hear your response and experience of making your own terrariums. Feel free to share with us.
If in case, you still have any questions related to the subject please use the comment section below to voice it. We will get back to you at the earliest possible with the best knowledge available on the same.