AeroGarden is gaining popularity over time. It is a system designed by manufacturers that helps to grow herbs and vegetables without involving soil. The system that is used by aerogardens is generally known as hydroponic or aeroponic. It is named so because the plants grow and get nutrients from water and air.
The current century is also concerned about using the resources in the most optimum manner. When it comes to installing an aerogarden in the household, the first question that needs an answer is how much energy is required to run the system to calculate the actual cost that will incur once you have got the unit installed.
So, we have tried doing the mathematics for you to reach around the actual cost that will add up in your energy bills after you get the unit installed.
- 1 Calculation of How Much Energy is Consumed by an AeroGarden
- 2 Let us take a Literal Example.
- 3 Different Types of Aero Garden You Can Buy.
- 4 What are the Other Costs that are associated with an AeroGarden?
- 5 Conclusion
Calculation of How Much Energy is Consumed by an AeroGarden
number of hours that your aero garden was in use. The type of garden or plants and the aerogarden are equally important while doing this calculation.
Multiply this by –
Calculate the wattage figure that is utilized by the model of your aerogarden. We will need the calculation in kilowatts, and that is, we will do what electric companies do, divide the same by 1000.
Multiply this by –
The number of days that are in a month, usually 31.
Multiply this by –
All the above calculations will bring the total cost per kilowatt-hour charged by your utility. For example, let us consider $.13 kW/hour.
Let us take a Literal Example.
For instance, in your counter space, you are growing a gourmet herb that requires you to keep the system on for 14 hours in an aerogarden harvest that utilizes 23 watts or 0.023 kilowatts of power. The aerogarden is used for 30 days a month at an average utility cost of $.13 per kilowatt.
The cost per month that will add to the energy bill is – $1.25
Different Types of Aero Garden You Can Buy.
1. Aero Garden Harvest
Aero Garden harvest is a popular choice among the kitchen countertops. It is known to be the best pick for indoors. It has a 6-pod harvest garden that is sleek and easy to use. It is designed in a way that any kitchen is a perfect choice to grow herbs through this model.
- INCLUDES GOURMET HERB SEED KIT (6 POD) Genovese Basil, Curly Parsley, Dill, Thyme, Thai Basil and...
- PLANT TO PLATE Up to 6 plants grow at a time, up to 12 inches tall with this indoor garden; Grows in...
- EASY TO USE: Digital display control panel includes vacation mode to keep your hydroponics growing...
- LED GROW LIGHTS: High performance, full spectrum 20 watt LED high efficiency grow lighting system in...
- IN HOME GARDEN SYSTEM :Grow fresh herbs & veggies all year round in this indoor herb garden; Always...
2. Aero Garden Sprout
Aero Garden sprout is a choice when you want to grow flowers and generally has a space to grow three at a time. This will look perfect in your living room as it will add some aesthetics to your place. It generally comes with 60 LED lights that give full sunlight spectrum to your plant and help them grow better.
- BRAND NEW DESIGN - Experience better plant growth from your AeroGarden Sprout indoor garden with a...
- PLANT TO PLATE - up to 3 plants can be grown at a time, up to 10" tall. Plants grow in water, not...
- HIGH EFFICIENCY LED LIGHTS - Our energy efficient full spectrum 10-watt LED grow lights tune to the...
- INCLUDES GOURMET HERB SEED KIT (3 POD) - Genovese Basil, Curly Parsley, and Dill & a 3oz bottle of...
- ALWAYS HOMEGROWN: FRESH. EASY. SAFE. - AeroGarden has been providing fresh, safe food options for...
3. Aero Garden Bounty
Aero Garden bounty is a full-fledge in-home garden that is perfect for fulfilling your herbs and vegetables growing requirements. It usually comes with 40 watts of white, red, and blue LED lights. This makes sure that your plant gets the full spectrum of sunlight to grow quicker and better.
- Use this indoor garden to grow up to 9 different herbs, veggies, or flower varieties at once
- 30W LED grow light gives your plants the full spectrum of sunlight they need to grow quickly - up to...
- Automatic timer makes sure the lights go on and off at exactly the right time, and the digital...
- Vacation mode keeps your plants healthy while you're out of town
- New, sleek design that features a larger water bowl and grow deck
4. Aero Garden Farm
Aero Garden farm is a 24XL fully contained that automatically delivers everything that your plant is going to require. It is perfect for an in-home garden and comes with two adjustable, customizable 60W LED lights that are enough to fulfill your plant’s sunshine needs.
- ALWAYS HOMEGROWN: FRESH & SAFE - AeroGarden has been providing fresh, safe food options for over...
- VERTICAL GARDENING - The stackable, modular design of the Farm gardens lets you connect multiple...
- SMARTEST GARDEN ON MARKET - Manage all AeroGarden features from setup through harvest using your...
- FULLY CUSTOMIZABLE LED LIGHTS - Exercise complete control of your herb garden with two customizable,...
- INCLUDES EVERYTHING YOU NEED TO GROW - 24-pod selection of heirloom greens, flavor packed herbs, and...
Depending upon the model you choose, the cost might increase or decrease accordingly.
What are the Other Costs that are associated with an AeroGarden?
Initial Purchase Cost
The initial price you will invest in the aerogarden will be somewhere around $130 – $150. The price might increase or decrease depending upon your need and the model you choose.
Seed Pod Costs
You can either get ready-made seeded pods where all you have to do is plant them or use the DIY technique to grow seeds in grow baskets that are nothing but a biodegradable sponge. The DIY option is cheaper than the pre-made kits.
The cost depends upon the category of 3, 6, 9, or a pack of 12, be it veggies, herbs, or flowers. The price range goes somewhere around $3 to $25, depending upon the category you choose.
Cost of Buying Nutrients
To attain the best results from the plant, you need to provide them with nutrients. AeroGarden liquid plant food is something that will provide your plants with all the required nutrients. This will cost you somewhere around $10 to $30. Again, the price range might differ depending upon the choices you make.
These were the few other costs in addition to energy bills that will add up in your monthly expense. Even if you ignore the one-time cost of getting the system installed, you cannot ignore the other costs that will incur regularly.
When you decide to buy an aerogarden, make sure you know your product very well to calculate the costs associated with it.
Be proactive in researching is the best model for you and the plant you want to grow.
Make the choices wisely to save extra bucks. Cleaning aerogarden is also a hustle while you consider investing in the unit. It might or might not add up in the extra cost.
Do share your experience with us in the comment section below and use the same for any further doubts.